Lancaster Part ID

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

firebird24

Recruit
May 1, 2017
Hi from germany,
I have this Lancaster Part but can't realy ID it.
Thanks for help

Attachments

• 20230417_201944.jpg
    20230417_201944.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • 20230417_201950.jpg
    20230417_201950.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 20230417_202100.jpg
    20230417_202100.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230417_202026.jpg
    20230417_202026.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230417_202013.jpg
    20230417_202013.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 23
The object looks like part of an escape hatch from a military type aircraft. From the photos it is about the right size and the fastener pattern along each of the left and right edges looks like a match for the joining of inner/outer sections. The 2x torn areas at the bottom is where the hinges would have been mounted. However, I can not say if it is from a Lancaster or some other airframe. If it is from the Lancaster it would have to be from one of the mid- or rear-fuselage overhead escape hatches, not the parachute escape hatch in the bombaimer's compartment.

It could a be hatch from another airframe - such as the one in the photo below - in front of the turret on a Halifax Mk II:

Halifax Mk II roof hatch copy.jpg

Last edited:
My guess is that it is the rear part (looks broken) of a fairing. It appears to be painted black (brush painted) which would place it somewhere on the exterior below the camouflage line and probably off a nacelle. Without the year or version, virtually impossible to identify accurately. There were a lot of fairings on a Lancaster. This one appears to be a relatively flat profile. It has a definite flange on the underside and it's been rivetted on so it wasn't designed to be removed. Could be some kind of vent?

I've been looking through Haynes Lancaster owner's workshop manual. Two possibilities: 1) carburetor air intake. 2) faring for the coolant and radiator shutters. page 39. Those are guesses and I stand to be corrected. Note that different merlins may have slightly different designs for these.

Jim

Last edited:
OP: do you know for certain if this piece is from a Lancaster? We are working from that starting point. Are you certain this aircraft's identity is a Lancaster? I agree with Barry's belief this is off an engine nacelle.

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks for All answer. Yes it is from an Lancaster, not from an crash place but from an Lancaster that was shoot down from an German plane and all the holes and other are from exploding 20 mm

Can't be an access panel, it's rivetted around the flange. I'm still sticking with a fairing. It's a reasonably large one compared to the blue plastic bucket in the pic. If that's shell damage then it is definitely exterior and more than likely off a nacelle. One ting though, I can't see how the last three shots with serial numbers relate to the first two. I can't see these marks anywhere on that part.

Can't be an access panel, it's rivetted around the flange. I'm still sticking with a fairing. It's a reasonably large one compared to the blue plastic bucket in the pic. If that's shell damage then it is definitely exterior and more than likely off a nacelle. One ting though, I can't see how the last three shots with serial numbers relate to the first two. I can't see these marks anywhere on that part.
Right! I didn't see the bucket before. Confusing, to say the least. I wonder if it's one one end or the other of the bomb doors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back