Landing and basing fees at Brooklands and Croyden aerodromes, late 1930s

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I ran across one more possible source here "https://www.elmbridge.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2023-04/Brooklands Conservation Management Plan.pdf". There is mention of a restaurant (quoted below) in the clubhouse but no date is included.

"The former Brooklands Aero Clubhouse, an inter-war building opened in May 1932 on the edge of the Flying Village, to the designs of Graham Dawbarn. Built in the International Modern Style, the symmetrical rendered building consists of a central three-storey tower flanked on its north and south sides with single-storey pavilions. This building became the hub of the social activities for the Brooklands Aero Club and contained a restaurant, lounge, bars, office, watch office and an observation platform."

Hey LCharnes,

FWIW If you do not already know this, the Brooklands Aero Clubhouse was built in 1932, funded by Brooklands Aviation Ltd (I think). Maybe there is some information there you can use in your research. There is mention of the 'Air & Airways' magazine having a presence there during the opening. Maybe check out said magazine?

Also, there were a couple of films made at Brooklands in the early-1930s. One was about auto racing, but the other - 'The Kings Cup' - was oriented around said air race and was filmed in 1932 shortly after the Aero Clubhouse was built (released in 1933?). There are supposed to be scenes from inside the Aero Clubhouse.

Also, there was a caricature made of Brooklsnds Aero Club in 1932 - "Our Flying Clubs No. 1 - Brooklands Aero Club" - that mentions the following people:

"Notable members of the club pictured here include the manager, A. Percy Bradley, Ian Stoddart-Barr, Sales Manager, Billy Massey, one of the directors in charge of the repair shop, Capt. H. Duncan Davis, Managing Director, Bob the barman (important!), Ginger Ruutz-Rees, K. Mistinger, S. A Thorne, instructor and acrobatic pilot, Flight Lieut W. E. P. Johnson a prominent exponent of blind flying and the chief instructor, George E. Lowdell"

So there was at least a bar. Assuming they were real people then maybe there are records that could help, left by or about some of them.

Otherwise, I ran across this 1938 floor plan of the Croydon main building. It would seem like there should be a plan of all such airport buildings?

View attachment 791033
I'll certainly take this! My heroine's already passed through Croydon a couple of times, but I've kept her out of the terminal because I didn't have any information about how it was laid out. Thanks!

Here's a description of The King's Cup from the Art Deco Society UK. Apparently, there was room inside the clubhouse for a big band and dancing...or at least, the movie version did.

Last edited:
I ran across one more possible source here "https://www.elmbridge.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2023-04/Brooklands Conservation Management Plan.pdf". There is mention of a restaurant (quoted below) in the clubhouse but no date is included.

"The former Brooklands Aero Clubhouse, an inter-war building opened in May 1932 on the edge of the Flying Village, to the designs of Graham Dawbarn. Built in the International Modern Style, the symmetrical rendered building consists of a central three-storey tower flanked on its north and south sides with single-storey pavilions. This building became the hub of the social activities for the Brooklands Aero Club and contained a restaurant, lounge, bars, office, watch office and an observation platform."
Getting closer. There's also an accompanying "Brooklands Gazetter" from Oct 2017 at https://www.elmbridge.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2023-04/Brooklands Gazetter_0.pdf. It has a smidgen more information and the text isn't as dorked up as it is in the conservation plan.

The conservation plan references Brooklands: The Official Centenary History by David Venables, which is apparently a source for this description. It appears to be out of print, of course. I need to decide if it's worth $42 to see whether there's more material in the book than what's already in the Brooklands Heritage Partnership's reports. 🤔

Flight magazine archives used to be available on line for free but they stopped that a number of years back. It was supposed to be available to subscribers but there was a problem/delay setting that up and I don't know if it ever got set up.

When free it was searchable (enter word/phrase and year and get relevant results)

some issues seem to be available here

But I don't know how to use the search function.
Thanks for the link! I may not find answers in this archive to this question, but I'll probably find answers to questions I have yet to think about.

This appears to have most of the back issues from 1912 through 1938. I hope 1939 is around somewhere.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back