Less competent carrier planes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The one thing that I always wondered, was why didn't they develop a land only based version. The vast majority of the customers don't have carriers and a land based version could shed a lot of weight fairly easily, significantly improving the performance.
The obvious thing is to avoid development cost but with the new generation of competition i.e. Gripen and Rafel it could make a difference as these are serious contenders.

The one thing that I always wondered, was why didn't they develop a land only based version. The vast majority of the customers don't have carriers and a land based version could shed a lot of weight fairly easily, significantly improving the performance.
The obvious thing is to avoid development cost but with the new generation of competition i.e. Gripen and Rafel it could make a difference as these are serious contenders.
I think you'll find that many of the customers specifications for their fighter purchased included things that you would think is found only on a naval aircraft IE. the tail hook. There isn't much you could remove form the FA-18 to make it lighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back