Let's Talk Trainbusting (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I guess steam locks would have been very vulnerable to strafing as the boiler is a large target and once it's holed, that's it. On the other hand, if that was the total of the damage wouldn't,t it be pretty easy to repair?
Had the Germans been using Diesel engines the trains might have been tougher to kill. Non volatile fuel and the engine could have been armoured, which I imagine would have been impractical with a stem loco. At the end of the day though, a train is always going to be a comparatively large, slow moving target.

Google armoured trains.

Soviet: http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m199/Von_poop/album 2/sovtrain.jpg

Check out this video on youtube:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OSb0kHn_RU

it's from an October '43 newsreel. While it does not depict anti-aircraft operations, it does give you an idea about the equipment.

I've seen pictures of German locomotives that were both entirely enclosed, and only shielded with armor plate on the side, that being the preferred angle of attack if allied gun camera footage is to be believed. I would have to believe a totally enclosed loco is less efficient and much heavier than a standard one. That means it's much harder on the tracks and bridges than usual. I remember years ago talking to an old train man from the steam era. He told me that steam locos were MUCH harder on tracks and bridges than diesel units. You'd think a fully enclosed unit would be even worse.

I wonder, General Motors F1 "covered wagon" diesels were coming online during the war. Did the Germans have anything comparable?

Last edited:
I wonder, General Motors F1 "covered wagon" diesels were coming online during the war. Did the Germans have anything comparable?

Germany was self-sufficient in coal, but had few oil resources; therefore, running trains on coal avoided putting pressure on already meager oil stock. In the 1940's the United States was a net oil exporter. In fact, gasoline rationing was put in place in the U.S. not because of inadequate supplies of oil/gasoline, but because of a shortage of rubber/tires.

Speaking of diesel trains, if you are ever in Chicago, go to the Museum of Science and Industry. Even if you don't have time to check out the museum, in the Museum's entryway, before you have to pay, there is the Burlington Zephyr streamliner train which set a Denver/Chicago record in 1934. (You have to pay extra to tour the train, but it is worth it.) As diesel trains matured it was often found that the added body work of the streamliners made the engines harder to maintain, and the difference wasn't made up for by aerodynamic benefits. It's a shame because those first generation streamliners were really neat looking. One full wing of the museum is devoted to transportation with several neat old steam engines. They have a Ju-87 Stuka and a Spitfire hanging from the ceiling. The coolest thing of all: they have a genuine U-Boat - and you can tour it. U-505 was captured intact on the high seas in 1944. Sorry for the off-topic diversion, folks.

Slightly off topic but it is difficult to separate rail traffic from other transport infrastructure. For example, a lot of materiel was (and still is in much of mainland Europe) moved via inland waterways.
These too became an important target. Not just the barges themselves but flights of locks, aqueducts etc. If your French allies can blow one lock gate nothing is going to move up that canal until it is repaired.
Cheers
Steve

When you say your father was shot down and then rescued, does that mean his #3 landed and picked your father up?

Yes Wusak - I posted pics here of the first Piggy Back Rescue...

My father was leading the group at head of 354FS, got hit after telling squadron to stay up while checked out the flak - he was hit by a burst of 20mm over the M/Y, on fire and Split S to get on ground (he never bailed out in either WWII or Korea). Priest landed about 800 yards in a wheat field French farmers were still cutting, taxied back to a point where he could take off into the wind as my father, out of shape, was huffing from his ship to Priest's. He ordered Priest to "go Home" - Priest refused and threw his chute on the ground. Dad hopped in and the rest is history - except that Priest was sure he would be court matrialed for disobeying a direct order in combat.

Instead Doolittle awarded him the DSC and told him (and rest of 8th FC) "don't do This again"

Here is one of them. My father sat in seat and controlled rudder and landing gear, Priest (6'-2") sat on his lap after tossing his parachute - and controlled stick and throttle.

Attachments

• 354 Priest and Marshall_18Aug1944 Rescue [marshall].jpg
    354 Priest and Marshall_18Aug1944 Rescue [marshall].jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
I have re-printed a detailed letter to me from Royce which is far more detailed than other historical recounts in context of the tfive minutes actually on the ground while two German trucks and staff car were roaring off the road about about a mile away.

The rest of Red Flight orbited for a a bit then swooped down on the Germans and shot hell out of the vehicles and troops - but they didn't get them all as several were shooting from below as they lifted over a haystack array next to a drainage ditch..

Yes Wusak - I posted pics here of the first Piggy Back Rescue...

My father was leading the group at head of 354FS, got hit after telling squadron to stay up while checked out the flak - he was hit by a burst of 20mm over the M/Y, on fire and Split S to get on ground (he never bailed out in either WWII or Korea). Priest landed about 800 yards in a wheat field French farmers were still cutting, taxied back to a point where he could take off into the wind as my father, out of shape, was huffing from his ship to Priest's. He ordered Priest to "go Home" - Priest refused and threw his chute on the ground. Dad hopped in and the rest is history - except that Priest was sure he would be court matrialed for disobeying a direct order in combat.

Instead Doolittle awarded him the DSC and told him (and rest of 8th FC) "don't do This again"

Here is one of them. My father sat in seat and controlled rudder and landing gear, Priest (6'-2") sat on his lap after tossing his parachute - and controlled stick and throttle.

Thanks Bill, I hadn't seen that before.

The shooting up of the engines is what was effective, especially if it ruptures the steam tubes. It's a repairable but time consuming repair job. An engine in the shop is an engine not pulling freight around.

Since the boiler is under high pressure, hitting it will more than just rupture steam tubes

Some screen captures from
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv8rFPLN_Fg

gun camera - trains 01.jpg

gun camera - trains 02.jpg

gun camera - trains 03.jpg

gun camera - trains 04.jpg

They don't look very repairable to me. You can see bits of the locos being launched well into the air.

How did they react?

How do you know it was infrequent? How often is infrequent?

If they did, there would have been a lot more of the gun camera footage that would have been preserved. As it was, it was usually just some holes made in the engine with steam escaping. Nothing dramatic.

Those engines were made of some tough iron and steel.

If they did, there would have been a lot more of the gun camera footage that would have been preserved.

One has nothing to do with the other.

As it was, it was usually just some holes made in the engine with steam escaping. Nothing dramatic.

You can show gun camer footage of this?

Those engines were made of some tough iron and steel.

Tough iron and steel subject to (for the time) high temperatures and high pressure.

There are darn few steam tubes in a railroad locomotive. Their boilers are different than marine boilers. They are fire tube boilers. They consist of a large pressure vessel with a number of tubes running through them that carry hot gases from the fire box to the front of the boiler casing (smoke box) and then out the stack. They do often have small steam tubes inside either the fire tubes or smoke box as super heaters.
They can fail in quite a catastrophic fashion as the outer Boiler jacket or surface is under around 185-250 pounds per square inch pressure. IF the boiler outer jacket is damaged it can ( but not must) start to tear or split.

Most marine boilers are the opposite construction. a bunch of tubes containing water suspended in a "container" of hot gases at low pressure, piercing the outer jacket lets some of the hot gas out but not any steam unless the projectile gets a little further inside.
Obviously both have steam fittings, connections or piping in exposed positions in addition to the the boiler.

Thank you.

in the first photograph the paint is a nice color code.

Yellow is for the fire/hot gases, Blue is for the water and white is for the steam.

800px-Boiler_explosion_1850.jpg

A boiler in 1850 is certainly made of poorer stuff than one made in the 1920s/30s but then the boiler pressure was probably under 90lbs. perhaps under 60lbs.

Boiler_Explosion1%u00255B1%5D.jpeg

Just google boiler explosion :)

They may not have exploded every time they got hit but it was a very real possibility.

Last edited:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYTaddev6KQ

In that clip they state that often the engineer will release steam from teh boiler to prevent a catastrophic explosion

In that one and the following ones you can sometime see a lot of steam coming out before the loco is hit.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2hZHWpmsFw

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT4P9Lbl0E0

I took some screenshots of that last video of one train blowing up

gun camera - trains 05 part 1.jpg

gun camera - trains 05 part 2.jpg

gun camera - trains 05 part 3.jpg

See the chunks of metal flying past the plane?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back