Level autopilot

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

VALENGO

Senior Airman
Is there any thread on level autopilot? I don´t understand how (and when!) it works. I´ve tried a few times, but only get "pilot automation off", or something, and my ship never goes straight.
Signed:
Crashed Dog Valengo

Yes there is!, I have FB + PF and there is level autopilot.

Very True, Ive seen both of the functions, but never use them.

Trims is the way to go. Planes of the 40's did not had autopilot, so consider yourself lucky.

I'm busy working/building a Historically Campaing in New Guinea (Missions Against Buna) (Missions Against Buna) where you have to do all by your self. The AI planes will fly to the target, but if you use autopiltot, you and your squadron will take of and land at the same airfield, so navigation and planning is essential. Hopefully I'll be finised around May 2008 with it.

You´re right, eddie, but any days I like the game easy way (other days I prefer it hard). But anyway I like to know the whole game, and how it works.
Well, I go to Buna right now, let´s chek it out.

I'll see tonight how this "level autopilot" work and let you know tommorow.
if anybody here would like to do testing on my "Buna Campaign" please let me know. I'll post some of the missions for testing and playability

Eddie, I don´t know if I misunderstood, but I follow your link and reach an interesting site, but there is no "mission download area" over there. sorry, I´m a little slow any times.

Nope, the link is my "building blocks" and info that I use for the campaign.

If you want i'll post some of the missions here, then you can test them and let me know any suggestions/approvements
tx
edd

I dont use the level autopilot function (so dont know much about it) much in the game however i do use the level stabilser when on bombing runs. The level auto pilot and level stabilser are 2 different things, if you wish to use the stabiliser you have to map it (pretty sure its in the trim control section.

When in strabiliser mode you can adjust rudder trim speed only (pretty sure anyway)

The level autopilot function justs determines how the auto-pilot automation works.
when it's off, you have to manually switch of the autopilot when u switch gunner position.
When it's on,it will automatically switch off ur new position while switching back on your previous gunner position so it is active and will fire.

So, it basically aids you in a fight where your bomber is under attack.switching auto pilot automation on thus helps you quickly cange gunner position while making your previous position operational while immediately making your new position available for use.So it keeps the plane flying with pilot still in control and other gunners firing.Basically the ai controls the rest of the plane.

Last edited:
This function is not very usefull, I think.It would have been nice to use the bomsight while pilot is flying,after all they're two different positions.But the game counts them as one.
Anyway, i'm not really into flying bombers, so that's my basic understanding from experimenting with it.

Last edited:
In B24D cockpits, I've often seen what looks like an early "C1" autopilot to the right of the pilot's yoke support. The turn knob is a separate control. The gain/sense knobs appear to be arranged about the same as on later models. The toggle switches are arranged horizontalally, on an angled panel along the top edge (vice along the left side). Has anyone stumbled across any info? I'd like to figure out the toggle switch labeling. Also, there are 7 vice 6 switches, so I think one takes the place of the "missing" on/off knob. I also can't find a pilot/bombardier control knob, so it may not have been tied into the bombsight.

Trims is the way to go. Planes of the 40's did not had autopilot,

Some did, but it wasn't standard. Somebody already mentioned the B24. I think the SB2C had it too. It was in some of the bombers of the era, mostly US. I don't think any fighters had it.

Now it's practially standard on everything down to light aircraft. Having flown with and without it, it's hugely useful.

But trimming for level flight is a first step. Set the power, then monkey around with the trim so the climb/descent is at 0 and stays there. If your plane has rudder trims, do the same for the rudders using the turn/bank indicator.

The way airplanes work, every change in power settings will change the trim settings. Push the speed up and you'll need to push the nose down. Airplanes under full power always want to climb.

There are two distict "autopilots" in Il-2 1946, neither of which is an attempt to simulate the presence of mechanical autopilot device in the planes.

The standard autopilot replaces you with an AI pilot. The game default is for this to be automatically engaged whenever you move to a gunner station and be automatically disengaged when you return to the pilot seat, simultaneously returning the gun to AI control. You can also manually engage it at any time and watch your AI buddie do his thing. This can be a good learning tool for newbies because you can essentially sit in the cockpit, watch the gauges and controls, and learn how an "experienced" AI maintains formation, manuvers, and fights. It is also quite useful when you are flying a long range mission and want to use 8x time compression to get where you are going without crashing. This "autopilot" has always been in IL-2

The "level autopilot" option is not the same. It is mainly in the game to assist in level bombing from multi-place bombers with a bombardier station. I think you have to assign it a key in the controls options. Basically, it allows your plane to stay level and straight while you are working with the bombsight. It simluates the plane being flown by a pilot until you are ready to take it over during the final run as the bombardier - otherwise you also have to fly the plane while looking down through the sight and adjusting its speed and altitude settings, which is a real pain. I've tried it, but I generally find the sights difficult to work with as the games's basic printed manual doesn't go into the details of using all the bomsights in the game and they differ from nationality to nationality.

I'm pretty sure "level autopilot" was NOT in the original Il-2, since the original game did not feature any flyable multiplace level bombers with bombardier stations. It was only added with FB.

Last edited:
I'm somewhat curious about this, I bought IL-2 1946 for eight bucks and was fooling around with it. Firstly I got up to 18k and thought like an aces high player, i.e. reduce rpm and manifold pressure to max cruise hit auto trim level and go grab a beer. No auto trim level that I could find and I'm getting thirsty. Does it have such a function? I will probably try it online sometime this week, hope I enjoy it as much as Aces.

lol, IMHO if you want autopilot then buy a Modern flight sim.
WW2 aircraft did NOT HAVE AUTOPILOT, AUTOTRIM etc .... LOL their radios where not even reliable, unlike our SIM-Tower which is ALWAYS available :)

Patience is the key - Practice is the key
Practice is the key - Patience is the key

Last night I was 2.30 hours in the air with my P38 over the Solomons(Solomons DCG) and only saw about 4 mins of action! I DONT have a key mapped to autopilot and when I landed I was dead tired and took my hat off to the real pilots that flew many more than 2.30 hours on a mission

Regarding trims: when I started with IL2 in 2001, I used my mouse wheel for elevator trim. It work ok, but 1 turn of wheel gives you about 6deg of trim, so it not very smooth. Luckily im huge Flight and Race simmer, so I gave my MoMo wheel a go at elevator trim and it still serves as my trim device :)

edd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back