Lockheed AH-56 Cheyenne (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

He did a video on the Battle Of Midway. Too many errors on a topic I know a little about. It makes me wonder about the veracity of his coverage on subjects I don't know at all.

Chase planes used on the Cheyenne project. P-51D-25-NA 44-72990 1945 USAAF. 1949-50 USAF 82nd FG. 1-1953'56 RCAF as 9283. Civilian as N6322T. 1967-78 US Army chase plane for the AH-56 program. Currently at Fort Rucker, AL.

Attachments

• P-51D-25-NA 44-72990 1945 USAAF. 1949-50 USAF 82nd FG. 1-1953’56 RCAF as 9283. Civilian as N63...jpg
    P-51D-25-NA 44-72990 1945 USAAF. 1949-50 USAF 82nd FG. 1-1953’56 RCAF as 9283. Civilian as N63...jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 18
When I worked at Lockheed an old boss of mine was on the flight test program, I can't remember if he was a pilot or was gunner. He had a really cool model of the Cheyenne in his office I was always threatening to steal!

I wish they'd shown a "normal" rotor in comparison to the "rigid" rotor.

His "reasons" why the Cheyenne was cancelled are nearly made-up.

Just to name one problem: the Cheyenne's systems were analog electronic or mechanical. The digital revolution was hitting, with chips replacing vastly larger, heavier systems. That's why the AH-64 was so much more advanced in so many ways.

Again, that's just one thing. The Army being completely dissatisfied with the progress of flight tests was another ...

His "reasons" why the Cheyenne was cancelled are nearly made-up.

Just to name one problem: the Cheyenne's systems were analog electronic or mechanical. The digital revolution was hitting, with chips replacing vastly larger, heavier systems. That's why the AH-64 was so much more advanced in so many ways.

Again, that's just one thing. The Army being completely dissatisfied with the progress of flight tests was another ...
There were issues during flight testing and many of the analog systems were being dated, but the bigger issue was a platform that can potentially provide a mission that traditionally belonged to the USAF. It didn't help that one prototype crashed. Key west agreement/ Johnson-McConnell Agreement came into play as well.

This machine was too complicated and too advanced for its time. The AH-1 filled the role, operationally and politically.

The AH-64 was about a decade later in timing. It isn't surprising its systems were more advanced.

From what I understand, the AH-56's systems were among the most advanced at that time.

It's on his Warographics channel. The guy's name is Simon Whistler. Just look up some YouTube for Midway and I'm sure it'll be one of the thumbnail suggestions. In fact just click on the link Wuzak provided. He's a shameless self promoter.
I never actually read your instructions on how to do that. I did, however, save it. That counts, right?

Last edited:
I was in Army Aviation while the Cheyenne was being developed, I have no idea what the higher brass thought about it, but the young officers and warrants was very excited about it maybe being in their future. Me as a crew chief was excited too, but I knew there would be a lot of school time before I could touch it.
I was still in the Army when it was cancelled, we blamed it all on the USAF not wanting the Army encroaching on any of what they considered their mission.

I'm not too fond of Whisler's videos either, way too much face time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back