Lockheed C-60 in detail

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Donivanp

Colonel
12,359
12,760
Feb 23, 2014
Katy Texas
A4K A4K was starting on a model of a C-60. I mentioned that we had one at our CAF wing here in Houston (Houston Wing CAF) named Goodtime Gal. I offered to get pictures for him and send them to him. Evan suggested I share with all so here they are squeezed down in size...

2026-09-05_08-43-33_136.jpeg
2026-09-05_08-43-44_493.jpeg
2026-09-05_08-43-47_271.jpeg
2026-09-05_08-43-51_670.jpeg
2026-09-05_08-43-58_696.jpeg
2026-09-05_08-44-08_037.jpeg
2026-09-05_08-44-25_980.jpeg
2026-09-05_08-44-29_913.jpeg
2026-09-05_08-44-39_971.jpeg
2026-09-05_08-44-54_571.jpeg
2026-09-05_08-45-03_097.jpeg
2026-09-05_08-45-09_560.jpeg
2026-09-05_08-45-12_353.jpeg
2026-09-05_08-45-34_621.jpeg
2026-09-05_08-45-42_856.jpeg
2026-09-05_08-45-49_972.jpeg
2026-09-05_08-45-59_234.jpeg
2026-09-05_08-46-14_501.jpeg
2026-09-05_08-46-25_555.jpeg
2026-09-05_08-46-33_408.jpeg
 
Bloody awesome photos Don. Thanks again for those mate :thumbright:

Interesting that the pilot seat is to starboard. In New Zealand, our Hudsons, RB-34 Lexingtons, and PV-1 Venturas had a single- pilot cockpit configuration, with the pilot sitting to port.
(I'm just trying to find out if our C-60s and PV-2s had single or dual cockpit configuration.)
 
I think that somehow the system simply reveresed the photos themselves, as in mirror imaged them. A quick look as you were posting might not give one time to recognize that it happened. Is all good no matter what.
No, I took the photo of each seat from a selfie reversing the camera backwards as there simply wasn't that much room, good lord if I thought that it would have generated this much of an issue!
 
No, I took the photo of each seat from a selfie reversing the camera backwards as there simply wasn't that much room, good lord if I thought that it would have generated this much of an issue!
Is no sweat. No issues at all! :hello1: Got to do whatever makes things happen sometimes. I've had the issue of the system mirroring photos or drawings before and done so in a way that it was a nightmare to get them to come out correct.
 
Thanks- good photos.
I assume the small compartment by the wings leading edge, and the two beneath the wings, are for cargo?
And does this one fly, or will it in the future?
Pima has the fuselage of the "Lady Lodestar" on display inside and have recently acquired another complete aircraft- but they don't fly their collection. Would be nice to see one in the air.
 
Yeah, I would assume the nose baggage area would be for smaller freight (mail, etc). She didn't have the big cargo doors of the C-47 either, so you wouldn't get anything larger than big boxes or crates through the side door either. Great for VIP transport and paratroopers though, as Don's one is fitted out.
 
Double-checking my own surmise above, and according to the net, those are indeed all baggage compartments (some albeit cramped!).

Apparently Lockheed designed her that way so all baggage could be stored below floor level in seperate nose, belly, and tail bays, accessible only from the outside by the sealed hatches you see in Don's photos. This enabled crews to better control the weight distribution, and leave more cabin space for passengers or paratroopers. (In the latter case, cabin bay storage nets were also fitted for personal equipment, also as you see in Don's pics).

The lower storage areas became the bomb bay in the later RB-34s and PV-1s, the nose the bombadier's station (and later ASD-1 radar position with new nose housing, when the Navy took over PV-1 admistration.)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back