Lockheed Constellation

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

john172

Recruit
Jan 5, 2017
Hello everyone, first time post on this great info sharing forum. I am invovled in the static restoration of the Qantas Constellation in Longreach Australia. Can anyone identify this missing indicator from the captain and first officers panels. Both are missing and we need to source them. Any info on availabilty greatly appreciated.

Aircraft_vor_Indicator_50192-220x240.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say it's an indicator that shows the direction ( heading ) from/towards the radio-beacon of the VOR type. Such radio-beacons are located at all crosses of the airways as the navigation points for instance. So it's a naviagation indicator. Usually it co-works with the DME ( Distance Measuring Equipment) as the VOR/DME system.

Its an HSI (Horizontal Situation Indicator).
Actually, it's a Course Deviation Indicator, or CDI, the cockpit instrument of a basic level Vhf Omnidirectional Range, or VOR, receiver system.
An HSI has a flux gate compass system attached to the outer compass rose ring, so that the aircraft's heading is depicted on the ring rather than the bearing to/from the station, as in the CDI in the photo. The course deviation needle in the HSI slides side to side rather than pivoting from a point in the top center.
Once HSIs came along, the potential for confusion dictated that they be clearly labeled "VOR" or "HSI".
I found that transitioning a student from a basic trainer with a VOR/CDI to a complex aircraft with a VOR/DME/ILS, an RNAV, an ADF, and a flux gate compass and HSI, plus retractable gear, constant speed prop, and enough horsepower to seriously embarras yourself, was often a mind bender.
Cheers,
Wes

Actually, it's a Course Deviation Indicator, or CDI, the cockpit instrument of a basic level Vhf Omnidirectional Range, or VOR, receiver system.

Righto, thanks Wes. Never heard of a CDI. I've flown bug smashers and fix regional airliners for a living, but can't say I've come across one of those before.

Never heard of a CDI. I've flown bug smashers
All your basic bug smashers (at least your basic Beech, Cessna, Piper types prior to light plane glass cockpits) have CDIs in them, if they have a VOR.
Course deviation indicator - Wikipedia
Some folks call it an OBI, or Omni Bearing Indicator, but unless it's attached to a flux gate compass, it doesn't qualify as an HSI. I bet your regional airliners have HSIs, if they have any analog gages at all.
What do you guys have for regionals, anyway?
Cheers,
Wes

What do you guys have for regionals, anyway?
Dashes and ATRs. All Q300s, but a mix of ATR 500s and 600s. The older 500s are being replaced one for one. A combined fleet of around 50 aircraft.

All your basic bug smashers (at least your basic Beech, Cessna, Piper types prior to light plane glass cockpits) have CDIs in them, if they have a VOR.

I've never heard of it being called a CDI before is all, Wes. Never. I have heard it being called a direction indicator, but the term CDI is new to me.

I have heard it being called a direction indicator, but the term CDI is new to me.
I guess CDI may just be "Yankee talk" that the rest of the world doesn't necessarily follow. Sometimes we get a little too big for our britches and assume that because we claim aviation started here, that "all them furreners" will always follow our lead.
I spent my private pilot years calling it an OBS (Omni Bearing Selector) until I entered the professional world and got promptly corrected.
Cheers,
Wes

I guess CDI may just be "Yankee talk" that the rest of the world doesn't necessarily follow.

Possibly Wes. Aviation is a broad topic. Sounds like you've had an interesting career in the cockpit, though. Lots of types under your belt? Were you airline only or military too?

Lots of types under your belt? Were yo hiu airline only or military too?
Mostly general aviation, flight instructing in power planes and gliders, corporate, airfreight, commuter airline pilot and mechanic. When you're a "bottom feeder" not interested in living in the city, the jobs come and go. The variety makes up for the limited prosperity. My only actual type rating is Beech 1900, a really fun machine to fly. All my early flying was in Navy flying clubs, sharing the pattern with P2s, P3s, A4s, F4s, RA5Cs, S2s, helos, and all manner of transient military aircraft, and my first CFI job was in that same environment.
What do you do your bugsmashing in? Your ATRs are 42s, or 72s? What's flying like in your part of the world?
My ex-wife/girlfriend/BFF, on her third day on the line as a brand new FO had the right engine on her ATR72 explode at Vr, freezing the prop shaft with the blades against the fine pitch stops. Her captain didn't take over, just talked her through the emergency and back onto the ground. (He had just come off a tour as a simulator instructor.) When they got back from their day's flying, she and the captain went to the maintenance shop and did chin-ups on the frozen in place propeller blades. (Much to the amusement of the mechs!) The containment rings had held, but the fuselage side aft of the tailpipe was pockmarked with scorched dents. The company provided another plane after the incident, and all but two of the passengers got right back on and gave the crew a standing ovation. Heady stuff for a brand new FO!
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:
Just your run-of-the-mill stuff, PA-28-161, C172 etc. Went solo on the mighty Tomahawk. Most recently flying a Sportstar, nice wee thing. Not flying right now, failed a medical - they're flippin expensive in this neck of the woods.

We operate ATR-72s, not that there is any difference between the '42 and '72 except in cabin size. The main differences are between the 500s and 600s, the latter having an all-glass panel.

Sounds like you've had fun, Wes, a great and rich aviation career nonetheless.

Went solo on the mighty Tomahawk.
A victim of the Trauma-hawk, heh? Scarriest plane I've ever flown, bar none. And that includes a number of experimentals and homebuilts as well as ferrying a couple of damaged birds to maintenance. Looking in the mirror and seeing that T-tail shaking and vibrating IN CRUISE FLIGHT just didn't give me the warm fuzzies. I promptly suggested to the boss if he decided to re-equip with T-hawks he'd have to find another chief instructor.
Cheers,
Wes

Yup, I remember my instructor telling me to look back at the T tail when I was pulling a stall! Hm, scary. I was always amazed at what a miserable little wing it had, especially when climbing into a PA-28, which looks like a positively massive wing area by comparison!

climbing into a PA-28, which looks like a positively massive wing area by comparison!
Especially the 161/181 versions. The ones with the hershey bar wing never impressed me much, specially when my airframes instructor at mech school pointed them out as examples of bare minimum rivet sizing and spacing under Part 23 airworthiness standards.
Cheers,
Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back