LOCKHEED XF-90

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for posting that!

"The XF-90 exceeded the speed of sound in level flight...."

So, fake news goes as far back as October 1949 at least...

About the only thing everyone agreed on about the XF-90 is that it was under-powered and never performed well enough, typically blamed on under-performing engines or excessive airframe weight, depending on who was blaming whom.

Still, a really beautiful plane, that I'll always enjoy reading more about.

"The XF-90 exceeded the speed of sound in level flight...."

So, fake news goes as far back as October 1949 at least...
You're assuming that there was a time when there was no fake news?

About the only thing everyone agreed on about the XF-90 is that it was under-powered and never performed well enough, typically blamed on under-performing engines or excessive airframe weight, depending on who was blaming whom.

I think both. If the plane had started in the early 50s with better understanding of material and needed structural strength requirements and knowledge of area rule and the upcoming J-79 engine, I think the AF could have been fielding a multipurpose fighter by 1957, which could have been lighter, faster (smaller wings although temperature limit of alumium could be limiting) aircraft prior to the F-4, and could replace the F-100, F-102, F-104, and F-106. And they would not have had a need to buy the heavier Navy F-4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back