Lone Star flight Museum 2005 fly in

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Donivanp

Captain
Feb 23, 2014
Katy Texas
Thought I would share some older shots of the LSFM when it was in its heyday in Galveston.
April 2005 whas when these were taken. The Hurricane flew for the first or second time and had it's tail cut off by a Spitfire Mk IX two seater in a taxing accident. It had just completed refurbishment at Hooks airport here in Houston. If you get a Spit on your tail I guess you just in trouble.

pdrm1457fixed.jpg
pdrm1458fixed.jpg
pdrm1459fixed.jpg
pdrm1478fixed.jpg
pdrm1479fixed.jpg
pdrm1510.jpg
pdrm1511.jpg
pdrm1512.jpg
Picture 194.jpg
Picture 195.jpg
Picture 196.jpg
Picture 199.jpg
Picture 200.jpg
Picture 201.jpg
Picture 204.jpg
Picture 205.jpg
Picture 209.jpg
Picture 210.jpg
Picture 211.jpg
Picture 216.jpg

After the storm and flood the Catalina was floating at the top of the building crushed to the ceiling, the B-58 lost the nose gear and crumpled the nose in of the weapons/fuel pod. many of these were write offs and many were farmed out to other museums, mostly flying museums. I'll try and post some more later if interested.

We were there at the same time. I use to go there every month with my father. The first visit was when they where still at Hobby airport. We has some good times there. The fly ins were the best. Never knew what would show up. It was never the same after the founder passed away. We would stay from open to close. The staff would take us into the work area to see the works in process and we could go anywhere we wanted to including behind the ropes. Need to check out the new place.

Nice pixs. Thanks for sharing.
Kind of like seeing the (what was then called ) Bradley Air museum in Conn. before the tornado blew most of it away. Told it was the third largest in the country at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back