Looking for info on Bf-110

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BrentH

Recruit
Jun 6, 2020
The Aviation Museum of Kentucky is planning to display the tail section of a wrecked BF-110 from WW2. I am trying to search the history of the aircraft. The werknummer is 206601 A9. Anyone know where I can find info on this a/c?
Thanks all.
Brent

I don't have a listing of Bf110 WNr's but I'm wondering, given the 'A9', whether or not you might be looking at a component serial number rather than the aircraft s/n. Major components of Luftwaffe aircraft had their own WNr's distinct from that of the overall aircraft and that don't necessarily identify the aircraft itself. Can you post a picture?

I don't have a listing of Bf110 WNr's but I'm wondering, given the 'A9', whether or not you might be looking at a component serial number rather than the aircraft s/n. Major components of Luftwaffe aircraft had their own WNr's distinct from that of the overall aircraft and that don't necessarily identify the aircraft itself. Can you post a picture?
Thanks for the reply. Don't have a picture but the data plate is on the vertical fin and has "Sach Nr 161.35 and WerkN 206 601 A 9". I was thinking that the A9 referred to the model number of the a/c and the 206601 was the werknummer of the a/c. Didn't know that individual parts had WNrs. Thanks.

Based on your description, I'd suggest that this is a data plate for a part or assembly. Snautzer01 Snautzer01 may be able to help with the part. Again, I don't have a Bf110 s/n list so I may not be correct.

Crimea River is right. This is a part number not an airplane werknummer.
Oh well, it was a good idea... I had no idea that individual parts would have werknummers. The plate is on the port vertical fin so I guess it makes sense that if that part needed replacement you wouldn't want to have to move the data plate to keep it with the a/c. Thanks very much for all your prompt help.

A little bit more info could make all the difference.

Next time I'm at the museum, I'll take some pictures and see where that might lead. Thanks again for the help!

Attachments

• 20200616_164824.jpg
    20200616_164824.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 230
  • 20200616_164923.jpg
    20200616_164923.jpg
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 214
Very very very perhaps

The Vultee Me110

info by John Vasco ;
S9+CK
W. Nr. 3341
2. Staffel, Erprobungsgruppe 210
Pilot: Oberleutnant Alfred Habisch (PoW)
Bordfunker: Unteroffizier Ernst Elfner (PoW)
Shot down following early evening raid on Croydon on 15th August 1940 by the unit.
Belly-landed at Hawkhurst, Kent.
Put on street and park display in London towards the end of August 1940
Shipped to the USA aboard SS Montanan in April 1941.
Evaluated by Vultee Aircraft Corporation.
Ultimate fate of the airframe not known.

I asked mr Vasco to have a look at this. If anyone could point in a direction it will be him.

Last edited:
Definitely a Bf 110 rudder. Port side.

The bottom level part of it shows where the bottom plate was riveted to it.

The next question(s) to be answered:
How many Bf 110s were shipped over to the USA during/after the war?

We know of S9+CK, which, after the full examination by Vultee and the component parts industries, 'disappeared into the ether', so to speak.

If no other Bf 110s were shipped to the USA, it then increases the chances of this being S9+CK.

I will come back later with more info.

The key to this fin is the second photo of post #11.

The company plate says 'Luther Werke Braunschweig'.

Messrs. Luther & Jordan bought the aircraft section of MIAG (Mühlenbau und Industrie AG Braunschweig) in 1941 and re-named the new company Luther-Werke.

From March 1942 Luther-Werke appears as a producer of Bf 110s. The variants were: F-2, F-3, G-2 & G-4.

So this fin and its attendant plate is almost certainly from an F-2 variant onwards, built from March 1942 onwards.

I do have some other photos but I don't think they add very much (they are also large files). If you want I can either post them or email them. Many thanks for all the info so far. Incredible what you folks can determine from such small clues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back