Looking for information on early checklists

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Reegor

Airman 1st Class
Apr 29, 2010
San Diego, CA, USA
I'm trying to track down early checklists. Supposedly they were invented by the AAC after crash of the Boeing 299 prototype in 1935. I've been able to find crude checklists in a B-17C manual dated October 1940, downloaded from the B-17 thread on this forum. (Thanks!:D) An undated manual for P39-Q had "instructions" but no real checklists.

So any manuals/checklists from 1942 or earlier would be useful. It also seems like the Navy was way behind on this; even in 1944 manuals don't have real checklists. British have some, but very crude. Germans = nothing until 1950s? Russians, Japanese I have not found anything.

Here's my goal: Checklists were a very important invention, and considering that USAAF trained > 200,000 pilots they probably saved a lot of lives. Doctors are still fighting about whether to use them in 2011. :!:
Thanks for any early manuals, with or without checklists, or any later manuals (1942 or later) that don't have checklists. Photos of cockpits with checklists on placards would also be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back