Looking for teenagers to be Air Traffic Controllers on MySpace?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Freebird

Master Sergeant
Nov 12, 2007
British Columbia
I just heard this on the radio today, some pilots are concerned that the FAA plans to use teenagers as controllers, and even using "MySpace" to find them.

Also some veteran controllers are peeved that there isn't enough money to give them a raise, but the teenager newbie's will get up to $100,000 as a sign-on bonus.

FAA Turns To Teens For Traffic Controllers - Las Vegas News Story - KVVU Las Vegas

Did anyone else hear about this?

Whoa! Dude! You're cleared to land on that runway thingy over there!

This is so excellent to work at an airport! Why does that phone keep ringing? What's that buzzing sound? :confused:

Gnarly!!!

Attachments

• billandted.jpg
    billandted.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 176
I resent those comments ;).

I wouldn't be so concerned about this if there wasn't the $100 000 signing bonus. Only people who were interested and actually serious about the job would take it, but with the bonus, they can get anybody. It COULD be a problem, but I doubt the FAA would allow people who would put pilots and passengers at risk work as a controller.

FAA is hurting for new controllers with the imminent retirement of the vast majority of their work force. However, being a controller is no easy gig. Last I heard it was 3months (or maybe 6 can't recall) in Oklahoma City for initial training. Recurrent training is intense, lots of overtime, and the job stress can be phenomenal depending upon your tower, tracon or center. But then again the bennies are good. Some senior controllers make around $200k a year, though that is not the norm. 26 vacation days, 13 holidays, and 13 sick days a year. Not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back