Looking for thoughts on balsa WW2 models........ (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My first balsa project in about 40+ years. I went to the local hobby shop to scrounge an R/C propeller and some wheels to get the proper scale.
What is the pale-green material?
Very nice!! Do you intend to fly it? They make a nice display when "uncovered". Like a 3D schematic.
Oh, what do you use for your flat pinning surface? I use a cork-faced bulletin board. I could use something bigger. IMHO, it's very important that it's truly flat and level.

The members of our model club belong to an unofficial nation wide organisation, the ROMEO. Stands for: Retired Old Men Eating Out. Once per month we invade some local eatery for lunch and help the wait staff earn their pay.

What is the pale-green material?
Very nice!! Do you intend to fly it? They make a nice display when "uncovered". Like a 3D schematic.
Oh, what do you use for your flat pinning surface? I use a cork-faced bulletin board. I could use something bigger. IMHO, it's very important that it's truly flat and level.
The green paper is the card stock that comes with the model with interior components printed on it. I just used a piece of plywood laying around. Not a flyer, just display.

Check the models on post 21963 Picture of the Day. They are all control line flying models. The F-51H is a Jetco kit. I suspect the B-29 & Super DC-3 are Eureka kits from Japan. The model engine cylinder can be seen in all of the cowlings.

You could always do my father's plane as Guillow's makes it in a balsa kit, but there's lots wrong with the color scheme and the name. .

B25 Kit 1.jpg

Peggy Lou 2.jpg

I like building balsa, but usually build from plans, and not to fly as I try to detail the cockpit, etc. I started this a good 20 years ago, and really need to get back to it. It's an Austrian Albatros B.I
DSCF3450.JPG

DSCF3447.JPG

DSCF3448.JPG

DSCF3449.JPG

Stay well everyone,

Terry

Or, you could scratch build your own.....

Or, I could not... I'm not a model builder per se, I'd like to be but I have neither the time nor patience.

Is that your own work, Casor? If so its marvellous and I frequently admire the skills of the regular modellers on this forum.

Or, I could not... I'm not a model builder per se, I'd like to be but I have neither the time nor patience.

Is that your own work, Casor? If so its marvellous and I frequently admire the skills of the regular modellers on this forum.
Hey thank you for the comment. Yes, I designed and built the 55" 1/8 scale model. It is a Hansa Brandenburg W12. I haven't flown it yet as getting water and a good pilot in the same place at the same time has been a problem. The excruciatingly detailed post is here for more info on the model.

I have however flown this one...

Attachments

• Finished01A.jpg
    Finished01A.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Finished02A.jpg
    Finished02A.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 28
You're welcome. You're a skilled craftsman alright. That Fw 56 is nice too.
Thank you. I have been building for a long time. I design in 2D CAD and have a laser cutter which help a lot. But I have made all the mistakes there are to make along the way, so you just have to learn from them. I post my models on RCGroups to not only show techniques but also to show what I do isn't really that hard to do if you're careful.

I use a pc of 5/8" thick gypsum wallboard as a building surface - this on top of a flat table or pc of 3/4 plywood.
Hadn't thought of that. Fairly soft so pins can go in and out easily. The sheet of plywood sounds good too, if it's not too hard. Thanks to all for chiming in with advice, and showing your work. I'll probably stick with pre-cut kits for now. Looking forward to my Dumas Storch build.

Will do!! Thanks, again.:pilotsalute:

Oh, what glue do you use? How about the coating? I've been using Elmer's White Glue for construction and 50% Elmer's/50% water for coating the tissue.
I would use Titebond III wood glue for gluing the wood together. No heavier than Elmers and a lot stronger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back