Looking for thoughts on balsa WW2 models........

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Show us the Storch as you build it. Ask questions if you hit a snag.
Got my Dumas balsa Storch started late January. Have pretty much finished the assembly of the wing, horizontal/vertical stabilizer, and fuselage. Since a flying model is not my primary goal (but I may give it a try), I've been adding reinforcing gusseting, extra stringers, and some solid sheeting to reinforce or replace the very delicate 1/16 square stringers. I've fractured a few with an errant grip hear and there. My reinforcing has added some weight, but it's certainly a lot sturdier.

The wing was an enjoyable challenge, mainly in setting the dihedral, and bending and installing the reinforcing wire. Until it's covered, installed, and braced, the wing will be somewhat delicate. My rather rough gusseting of the vertical stabilizer will detract from the overall look of the piece when the tissue is shrunk and painted. I'm thinking of perhaps covering its framework with heavy paper or light cardstock before placing the tissue in the hope of hiding my rough gusseting. I could certainly use any suggestions or advice here.

Lots of sanding left to do. After placing the tissue, the next big challenge will be bending the .014" wire to the proper shape for constructing the landing gear. That step occurs after the tissue covering, before assembling the wing, fuselage, stabilizer, etc.

Oh, I couldn't find any Titebond 3 in a quick shopping errand, so I went with Elmer's Wood Glue Max.
Seems fine.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• 1 Left Wing 1-31-22.JPG
    1 Left Wing 1-31-22.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 3 Setting the dihedral 2-4-22.jpg
    3 Setting the dihedral 2-4-22.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 4 Wing completed 2-7-22.jpg
    4 Wing completed 2-7-22.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • 5 Horizontal Stablizer  2-8-22.jpg
    5 Horizontal Stablizer 2-8-22.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 6 Vertical stablizer  2-13.JPG
    6 Vertical stablizer 2-13.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 8 Fuselage frame constr 2-18-22.JPG
    8 Fuselage frame constr 2-18-22.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 10 Fuselage frame constr 2-18-22.JPG
    10 Fuselage frame constr 2-18-22.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • 11 Fuselage completed 2-22-22.jpg
    11 Fuselage completed 2-22-22.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • 12 Fuselage completed 2-22-22.jpg
    12 Fuselage completed 2-22-22.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
For the record, there are virtually no flight loads on the wing root on the Storch when the aircraft is in flight. If you look where the struts attach to the wing, most of the wing's lifting surface is outboard of them. Therefore, there is a net down force at the root when in flight. The wing root on the fuselage is there only to position the wing and to keep it from moving around, not to absorb any flight loads. On the real one, there is only a retractable pin at the LE and a hinge at the TE holding the wing panel to the fuselage. No dihedral bracing, no "extra strong" fuselage or root structure, just a light framework.

The main struts on the Storch do all the work.

For the record, there are virtually no flight loads on the wing root on the Storch when the aircraft is in flight. If you look where the struts attach to the wing, most of the wing's lifting surface is outboard of them. Therefore, there is a net down force at the root when in flight. The wing root on the fuselage is there only to position the wing and to keep it from moving around, not to absorb any flight loads. On the real one, there is only a retractable pin at the LE and a hinge at the TE holding the wing panel to the fuselage. No dihedral bracing, no "extra strong" fuselage or root structure, just a light framework.

The main struts on the Storch do all the work.
If the balsa model design and "engineering" is anything close to a real Storch, (at least before my added gusseting and bracing) your point is well taken, and very informative. With regard to the balsa model, I guess the reinforcing wire is there the hold the angles until the tissue skin, wing mounting, and bracing are secure. And the model's main struts are the biggest pieces of wood in the kit. A true "space frame". The Storch is the product of true genius. Thanks for your help and information.

If the balsa model design and "engineering" is anything close to a real Storch, (at least before my added gusseting and bracing) your point is well taken, and very informative. With regard to the balsa model, I guess the reinforcing wire is there the hold the angles until the tissue skin, wing mounting, and bracing are secure. And the model's main struts are the biggest pieces of wood in the kit. A true "space frame". The Storch is the product of true genius. Thanks for your help and information.
Yes, the same theories apply and have been borne out by the RC flying models I have made of the Storch. The struts have to be strongest link in the chain, nothing else really matters. OK, maybe the wing spars. I mentioned it as it is also an avenue to save weight on a rubber model.

I stumbled upon this thread but it brought back memories of building only balsas and balsa/plastis ranging from Berkley to to Monogram rubber propeller driven to Monogram Speedee Bilt to Gullows plus several scratch as I got better. I moved to plastic and stopped when I just didn't have that kind of time anymore about 30 years ago

The last one broke my heart at age 17. Berkley B-17 (1" to 1ft scale) R/C four channel that I last saw catching Santa Anna winds heading west over the ocean at Pacific Palisades. I probably devoted 100+ hrs to the build, detailed the panels, 4x K&B 29s. It was trimmed and climbling steadily. I won a stand-off scale with that one in 1959

I was also into control line and combat with my favortite Reactor ( I think?) flying wing - it was about that time that I started playing a lot of golf and shooting skeet/trap.

I still have two 1/7th scale Top Flight (plus one Royal) P-51s in our utility barn that have been idle for 20 years - will give to my youngest grandson.

Question - my old 'go to' was Ambroid for wood and testors for plastic. What is recommendation for either today?

I stumbled upon this thread but it brought back memories of building only balsas and balsa/plastis ranging from Berkley to to Monogram rubber propeller driven to Monogram Speedee Bilt to Gullows plus several scratch as I got better. I moved to plastic and stopped when I just didn't have that kind of time anymore about 30 years ago

The last one broke my heart at age 17. Berkley B-17 (1" to 1ft scale) R/C four channel that I last saw catching Santa Anna winds heading west over the ocean at Pacific Palisades. I probably devoted 100+ hrs to the build, detailed the panels, 4x K&B 29s. It was trimmed and climbling steadily. I won a stand-off scale with that one in 1959

I was also into control line and combat with my favortite Reactor ( I think?) flying wing - it was about that time that I started playing a lot of golf and shooting skeet/trap.

I still have two 1/7th scale Top Flight (plus one Royal) P-51s in our utility barn that have been idle for 20 years - will give to my youngest grandson.

Question - my old 'go to' was Ambroid for wood and testors for plastic. What is recommendation for either today?
Depending upon the application, I use thin or medium CA, titebond III wood glue or epoxy for wood. Plastic, depends on what the items are. For canopies, I use formula 560 which is a white glue that dries clear, otherwise it's CA or the thin model plastic cement that welds the pcs together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back