Repairing glue stain on canopy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SirFrancis

Airman 1st Class
Feb 10, 2022
Hey guys I have on this old N1K2 I'm rebuilding a glue stain on the canopy. It's on the inside front right panel. I remember years ago advice about putting clear gloss on it. Not sure if there's a better method. Should I scrape away some first? ok any advice appreciated. cheers

Attachments

• Canopy jpg.jpg
    Canopy jpg.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 32
Hey guys I have on this old N1K2 I'm rebuilding a glue stain on the canopy. It's on the inside front right panel. I remember years ago advice about putting clear gloss on it. Not sure if there's a better method. Should I scrape away some first? ok any advice appreciated. cheers
You ca try sanding it out but depends on how deep the damage is. Using fine sand paper and going to ultra fine.

I agree, the sanding is the best way to fix that. However it depends on the glue and damages to the polystyrene caused. These "milky" ones are difficault to remove usually because the white colour means that the plastic structure was damaged deeply. So the white panel may be a problem. The two small ones at the another panel and the front glass should be fixed with no trouble.
Regarding the white panel, you may try to sand it down a little bit. If the white gets reduced partially towards the clear you may continue. Then the area should be polished. But if it won't you may try to cut out the panel and replace it with a fitted piece of clear plastic.
My experience says that it is better to make the canopy from scratch using the damaged one as the former for the vacu process. Certainly you may try to find aftermarked one or somebody who doesn't need the one and may trade it to you.

Canopy2a.jpg

Ok thanks guys. So far scraping / sanding and clear coat hasn't done much. Only a very slight improvement around outside edge of the milky stain. I don't think I'm skilled enough to cutout & replace that panel without damaging the canopy. I might have to buy a new one. Grrrr

After sanding with progressively finer grits, polish the area using toothpaste, or "T Cut", a car body colour restorer. This should remove any sanding marks, and help "clear" the area. Use a cotton bud to do the polishing.
Once polished, give the part a wash to remove any residue form the toothpaste or "T Cut".
If this doesn't work, then the damage is probably too "deep" to repair fully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back