Ludwig Becker claims three Wellingtons Jan 1942.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MikeCC

Recruit
Sep 10, 2016
I have done a great deal of research on my uncle who was second pilot on a Wellington 1C (Z1110) of 101 Squadron which was shot down on the evening of 20th January 1942. The aircraft, from RAF Oakington near Cambridge, was one of three Wellingtons shot down by Ludwig Becker that night. Z1110 and its six crew went into the North Sea off Tershelling after attacking the docks at Emden. They were never found. From all my research, I am not clear whether Becker and Straub were in a Bf110 or a Do-215. I found another thread on this site about Becker and his aircraft later in 1942 and wondered if anybody can help me to clarify this? Thank you.

Thanks for your prompt reply! Not aware of this site which does seem to answer my query. Much appreciated.

I have done a great deal of research on my uncle who was second pilot on a Wellington 1C (Z1110) of 101 Squadron which was shot down on the evening of 20th January 1942. The aircraft, from RAF Oakington near Cambridge, was one of three Wellingtons shot down by Ludwig Becker that night. Z1110 and its six crew went into the North Sea off Tershelling after attacking the docks at Emden. They were never found. From all my research, I am not clear whether Becker and Straub were in a Bf110 or a Do-215. I found another thread on this site about Becker and his aircraft later in 1942 and wondered if anybody can help me to clarify this? Thank you.

Actually Becker flew the Do215B-5 G9 + OM equipped with a prototype Lichtenstein 202 B/C radar from August 8th 1941. I don't know for how long. Other Do215's were also stationed at Leeuwarden. The Do217 has different engines as you will know.

Today I found a picture of a silver cigarette case that was given to Ludwig Becker on 22th January 1942. The German text reads "Zur Erinnerung an die 3 Abschüsse über Holland in der Nacht von 20 Januar 1942", signed Ernst Heinkel. Translated: "In memory of the 3 kills over Holland in the night of the 20th of January 1942". Ernst Heinkel was the owner of the Heinkel aircraft company of course. For some reason I can't upload the picture.

Last edited:
The attached page from Becker's Flugbuch should answer your question. My friend Mikael Olrog is writing a book about the Dornier 215, which should be out in the not too distant future, and I'm sure Becker and his exploits in the Do 215 will feature in Mikael's work.

Becker Flugbuch.jpg

All the best,
Andrew A.

These are the entries for the three Wellingtons in the Dutch loss registers:

42-01-20, 2100, Terschelling (on the Bosplaat), Wellington II, Z8370, 12 Sqdn, F/Lt W.H. Thallon
42-01-20, 2107, North Sea (near Terschelling), Wellington IV, Z1207, 142 Sqdn, P/O J.G. Scott
42-01-20, 2137, North Sea (near Terschelling) Wellington IC, Z1110, 101 Sqdn, S/Ldr P.L. Chapman

The Boschplaat is a big sandbank at the east end of Terschelling.

A Andrew Arthy :
I found the German auction site with the four pages of Becker's pilot log, and I compiled a pdf file from these pages. I've identified all but two of his kills, and included that information in the pdf. I will send it to anyone who likes to have it

I would like to ask your or your friend Mikael Olrog how the G9+OM may have looked, which colours etc. I'm investigating the crash of the Hampden AE185 (also on the pages of Becker's log) that was shot down by this Do2156, and I'm working on erecting a memorial for that bomber. For that I would like to have a very good photo of such a Do215, or a good drawing in the correct colours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back