Luftwaffe aircraft part

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ThomasP appears to have cracked it as the hole in the door fr the pivot would be duplicated on the inner skin and appears to match the cutout in the panel smithycfs has

Crimea_River is part of the Calgary museum that has a Hurricane so hopefully he can photograph the inside of the gear door and solve the problem

Well that Hurricane was restored by the organization I was involved with and delivered last year. I don't have ready access any more.

I'm not convinced its a Hurrucane part yet. If you look closely there are two formed dimples on the scrap piece, one of which touches the flange but that dimple is not apparent on the photo posted by Thomas. I will dig through my progress pics to see if there's a shot of the door.

Hey guys,

I have not been able to find an exact match for the 'dimple' location on this part, but while looking I noticed at least 4 different patterns. I think they are representative of early Mk I, late Mk I, and Mk II (2 different manufactures?). Some of them had 2 'dimples'. Some of them had interior formed sheet reinforcement 'panels' (for my lack of a better term) that formed a box structure (for reinforcement of the outer door panels I assume), while some did not. The lack of an exact match for the dimple is why I was wondering if it might be some sort of a modification reinforcement panel or maybe a repair part.

IIRC there was a need fairly early in the life of the Hurricane to strengthen the gear door panels?

Last edited:
Hi guys. I don't think we have an IPC for the Hurricane but I will check.

Here are pics of the area identified by Thomas during restoration of our Canadian Mk XII (which was based on the British Mk IIB). This is a crop of the area on the outboard side:

Capture.JPG

The holes are to access screws for straps that go around the u/c legs. These holes aren't present on the scrap piece but also show up in Thomas' photo.

Note the dimple about 3 inches away from the larger bulge. Below is the inboard side of the same area but on the opposite cover. Note that everything is rivetted, no bolts.

20170527_120025 reduced.jpg

Well I guess that rules the Hurricane out. It would still be nice to see some Hurricane part numbers because that would show how Hawker numbered parts. If similar that would suggest another Hawker product. Just thinking aloud based on those dimples that are on both the Hurricane and Shane's part.

I have a picture of a drawing of the canopy framing. The drawing number is D76600. I can make out parts that start with A78, A97, B57, A83, etc. so a B99 would not look out of place. It does tell me that Hawker's part numbering procedure differed from that of de Havilland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back