Luftwaffe Tropical Scheme Question

dneid

Staff Sergeant
1,380
298
Joined
Oct 31, 2012
Location
Austin, TX
Hey, Guys,
Now that I am finished with the P-39, I pulled an old Tamiya Bf-109E4/7 out that I started many, many moons ago. I decided to finish this one in the tropical color scheme included in the kit. My question is should the boundary between the side color and upper sand color be a hard edge or a soft one? I have yet to find a definitive answer on the web and my 109 research material is non-existent.
TIA,
Dale
 
Out of the factory it was a tight demarcation, not masked to a hard line, but well sprayed to a tight line. In scale this would appear to be a hard line so some artistic interpretation might be required.

If the aircraft had been sprayed or re-sprayed further down the line you might see a softer demarcation.

I use a slightly raised mask to do this sort of demarcation. It can be done free hand but you need a very steady hand indeed!

stbd_under_800_zpsa9f97b68.gif


Cheers

Steve
 
I agree. Here you are a shot with quite close up view of the demarcation line on Bf 109F.

post-140-0-72220600-1366027449.jpg


post-140-0-85157800-1366027504.jpg


And here a Bf 109E..

2146468135_d772693cec_o.jpg


dup2.jpg


2086569713_9d0a6b7201_o.jpg


2086569707_8671f1349d_o.jpg
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back