Main tanks in vs Germany theaters (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

We do have to consider if the MK I was really a tank. Yes it had a rotating turret but it's fighting value was not much better than the Italian L3. The machine guns were fed with 25 round boxes so one man in a turret about the size of an large overturned washtub is trying to keep the equivalent of two Bren guns laid on their sides in action by himself.

combat value maybe not higher but technically is a tank (full armored tracked vehicle with weapons for direct fire in turret, my definition)

Actually it's much lower.

Even the early model 2cm KwK30 fired @ 280 rounds per minute. The newer model KwK38 fired @ 450 rounds per minute.

The Bradley IFV chain gun fires @ 180 rounds per minute. However the larger round provides superior armor penetration. I assume that trade off was made so the Bradley would be more effective vs Soviet BMPs.

What is the deliverable rate of fire? The one man in the turret of the MK II was also the loader. The Bradley has 300 rounds in the feedways. 100-150 rounds of HE without having to mess with a thing.

MK II is fire 10 rounds, change magazine, fire 10 rounds, change magazine and so on and on.

Tank rate of fire will be much lower than AA gun rate of fire even if both have the same cycle rate. AA guns used 20 round magazines and had loaders. The Flak 30 had a practical rate of fire of 120rpm and the Flak 38 had a practical rate of fire of 180-220rpm.
Take away the loader/s and double the magazine changes for the same number of rounds and what do you think you get?

For early models of the Panzer II it's probably a 10 round burst (about 3 seconds) followed by a magazine change.

The 524 Panzer II ausf F produced from March 1941 to December 1942 were far better vehicles. Too late to be considered a main battle tank but they were good for recon in rough terrain.
- Newer KwK38 cannon with a higher rate of fire.
- 30mm frontal armor. (Early model Panzer II had 20mm additional armor added during 1940).
- Commander's cupola. Perhaps the most important change as the tank now had a dedicated commander.
- Numerous improvements to hull and suspension based on combat experience.

- Commander's cupola. Perhaps the most important change as the tank now had a dedicated commander.

afaik was not so, the F has a similar turret of previous variant so have not a dedicated commander

A German manual on tactics recommends (for Pz II and III) using the the tank machine gun against enemy machine guns. It recommends using the cannon against AT guns with shields as the tank machine gun will not penetrate the AT gun shield ( at 500 meters in the illustration). The machine gun is preferred against a column of troops. At 400meters against an AT gun firing in a different direction the MG is recommended (no shield in the way). The cannon is recommended against the embrasure of a bunker as a MG will have little effect while the cannon can make the embrasure unusable. For the 2cm cannon holding fire Until enemy tanks were at 600 meters or less was preferred and it was taught that firing at 800 meters wasted ammo and brought little success. I don't know when the date of the manual was, but at this time the Germans were NOT teaching spraying the area down with 20mm fire.

It may be more helpful to think of the MK II as a MK I with a more effective mg ( 50% higher cycle rate and more ammo capacity than one of the MG 13s) with a 20mm anti-tank rifle in the turret rather than a 20mm flak cannon in a tank turret.

Differences in ammo capacity to other 2cm armed vehicles may help point this out. The Sp Kfz 251/17 ( armored half track with single 2cm gun--600 rounds 2cm ammo. The Flak 38(t) with single 2cm-1040 rounds. Flak Vierling on MK IV chassis Wirblewind 4 2cm barrels 3200 rounds 2cm ammo. The un-armored Sd.Kfz. 10/4 carried 200 rounds on teh vehicle and another 640 rounds in the towed ammo trailer.

Panzerkampfwagen II Sd. Kfz. 121
In March of 1941, improved and modified version of Ausf C - light reconnaissance tank Ausf F was introduced by FAMO. 524 tanks were produced from March of 1941 to December of 1942 (chassis number 28001-28834). Ausf F was the last variant of the normal Panzerkampfwagen II series. It had the same armament as other Panzerkampfwagen II tanks but some were armed with newer 20mm KwK 38 L/55 cannon. Inside the fighting compartment stored were 180 20mm rounds and 2700 7.92mm rounds. Armor protection ranged from 5 to 30mm but it still didn't offer adequate protection. Ausf F featured numerous modifications based on the experience with earlier models such as front hull, front superstructure, mantlet, suspension and new commander's cupola.

I've never seen a Panzer II ausf F so I rely on what others say. What makes you think the Panzer II ausf F didn't have a commanders cupola?

i never writed that have not the cupola, have the cupola have not the dedicated commander

Users who are viewing this thread

Back