[Manual] A6M Zeke/Hamp study

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fenbeiduo

Airman
Feb 10, 2022
A topic focus on cockpit and operation of the A6M

First of all, a cockpit overview:
cockpit 21.png

(this is the most neat looking illustration of the cockpit in a single picture, though it may have some details not included )

Fen

Last edited:
Here the disscuss began [Flight manual] Ki-43 Oscar study

Additionally, I am also confused, when pp refering to the so called "auto/manual mixture control" of a Zeke
(off topic, but anyway they share the almost same engine so I'd ask the question here ;)) :
View attachment 657851
As far as I can tell according to the Illegible A6M3取扱説明書抄録, that "A" is so called "高度弁操作把手" (mixture control handle).

It did neither refer to "auto" nor "manual", and I can't find any diagram refering "B" in it.

The only original reference that use the term "auto/manual" is a war time test report by the US.

Saids one is "mixture control"(probably B) which makes the mixture automatic when positioned to the rear.

While the other one is manually operated "idling mixture control"(probably A) which leans the mixture when warming up.

(I do not fully trust the US source)

So, what exactly are handle A & B for ?

The archived manual I mentioned is :
A6M3取扱説明書抄録

The "test report by the US" I have put to the attach file

Fen

Attachments

• zero -data-character by 23FG .pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 190
Last edited:
One of the reply by Shinpachi San
I had better translate original terms with the original diagram first.

高度弁操作把手 Altitude valve control lever
絞弁、高空弁、プロペラ管制把手 Throttle, High-altitude valve and Propeller control levers
二速過給器把手 Two stage super charger lever

プロペラ調速器管制 Propeller governor control
絞弁 Throttle
ブースト Boost
高空弁操作量指示弁 High-altitude valve controller

Your A is "Altitude valve control lever" and B is "High-altitude valve lever".

1) The blue rectangular handle is the throttle and there is a selector for armament control. You can select MG, cannons, or both. The motorcycle-like handle actuates the brakes with the use of rudder pedal.

2) There are two red knobs labeled A and B. The pilot has to control mixture, propeller rpm, and cowl flap opening for cooling. I am not really sure which is which. I have limited access today, but will try to find out in the future.
by GregP GregP

I know that in the manual of Ki-43 does mentioned (somewhere), that the "高空弁" need to positioned at "常時"(like takeoff climbing fighting) except for cruising(at high altitude?) which need to positioned at "巡航"(forward).

For the "Ha-25 Engine Manual" Shinpachi Shinpachi San.

Do you mean PDF 九九式 九五O馬力發動機說明書 ? If so ...
If so, I have roughly go though carburator chapter -find on p29, No.51 (looks like saying) :急停止弁(idle cutoff) is connected with 高空(high altitude) control , to engage the idle cutoff just make the high altitude control pass the most lean position. Then the engine will shutdown.
1644886765817.png

A valuable information indeed.

But I think it does not clarify the function of 高空弁 and 高度弁 and the "relationship" inbetween. ( ? Could because that Ha-25 is not the specific engine for A6M(栄一二型), so they might have some minor differences, and as far as I know the Ki-43 does not have a 高度弁 control)

Still trying to fully understand your explaination. Will come back...

Fen

A Japanese zero researcher has noticed: different type of zero has different name for A & B
a6m-cockpit-portside-png.png

For type32 A is 高度弁control handle, but not for type21

For 21, A is so called 高度弁automatic arrangement handle and B is 高度弁automatic switch handle

Though we have the name, but those names just make things further confusing

Maybe, that's why I couldn't understand Shinpachi Shinpachi san's explaination.

GregP GregP Greg do you have a pilot handbook or sort of , describe the use of
A ?

Fen

You may find this of use for providing US English translations of the various controls.

It is from a ZEKE 32 (HAMP) Design Analysis article which was contained in Aviation magazine, May, 1945 issue, Volume 45, number 5, published by McGrawHill Publishing Company of New York. I have not found a good on-line copy but one contains the diagram below, There are multiple low resolution copies on line of both the diagram and the article, including, if my memory is correct on this site.

1645922272341.png

If you are interested I have a copy of Aircraft Designers Data Book which has a good section on the A6M3 flight controls which I can scan for you.

You may find this of use for providing US English translations of the various controls. ...
It's GREAT MiTasol, I have a low res version of this layout image. So I have saved yours to replace the previous one.
In post#8 , I was trying to translate the device name directly from the Japanese manual, intended to figure out how to operate.

If you are interested I have a copy of Aircraft Designers Data Book which has a good section on the A6M3 flight controls which I can scan for you.
Appreciate that! I would like to read it. Hopeing that scaning won't take much of your sparetime.
Regards

Fen

Here is the control section. I have scanned each page in greyscale and in colour to try and get the best quality of photos.
The editor of this book was the editor of Aviation magazine so the content could well be word for word from the magazine article. I will find and scan other sections of the book that apply to the A6m

Attachments

• A6M3 from ADDB.pdf
    11.6 MB · Views: 128
Here is the rest of the material in that book that applies to the A6M3. Unfortunately nothing on instrument systems or cockpit layout.
Thanks ! I've just downloaded both of them. Looks like author is focused on the mechanism of this aircraft. I will read throughly

Fen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back