Martin B-57 Canberra

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Best of British built in America! Great footage. Interesting to see the XB-51 in flight. The tandem crew layout of the B-57 made more sense than the British goldfish bowl cockpit. Beautiful aircraft.

Last edited:
Yes, read about this before. Interesting link. I spoke to a former RAF Canberra jock once, he said he used to fly Canberras as high altitude interception targets; neither the Lightnings nor Phantoms could get anywhere near them.

Reminds me of RAF Vulcan pilots finding that they could outmanouvre F14s at maximum altitude due to huge amounts of wing area.

tyrodtom said:
Of course a fighter that can keep the bomber manuvering at altitude, delays the bomber and gives other fighters time to intercept.
Of course, however it produces a smaller sequence of events that make an intercept possible.

Printed from negs from the information office, 366th T.A.C. Ftr Wg 1972 (Personal files)

B-57_01.jpg
B-57_03.jpg

Reminds me of RAF Vulcan pilots finding that they could outmanouvre F14s at maximum altitude due to huge amounts of wing area.

Of course a fighter that can keep the bomber manuvering at altitude, delays the bomber and gives other fighters time to intercept.

Of course, however it produces a smaller sequence of events that make an intercept possible.

Of course an F-14 would have launched an Phoenix from about 100 miles away and blow the Vulcan out of the sky.

But I wonder if the story was originally an F-4 Phantom II?

Of course an F-14 would have launched an Phoenix from about 100 miles away and blow the Vulcan out of the sky.
Probably, but the Vulcan had good jammers.

Probably, but the Vulcan had good jammers

I doubt they could jam a Phoenix though. During the Falklands War on Black Buck raids, each Vulcan carried a single AN/ALQ-101 E-10 ECM pod, commonly known as Dash Ten pods the Americans supplied to the Royal Navy for use on their Buccaneers. The Vulcan's Red Shrimp (gotta love those British Cold War code names) self defence measures were not regarded as sophisticated enough to jam the modern US supplied air defence radars the Argentinians were using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back