Martlet Mk. I and IV - propeller issue

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jabbajindrich

Airman
10
4
Nov 5, 2022
Dear All,

I would like to solve with your help one technical question related to Martlet Mk. I and IV, i.e. type and diameter of Hamilton Standard propeller installed in that version.

It may be 23E50 or 33D50, blade type ????? but who knows.

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Jindrich Nepevny,
Prague, Czech Republic
 
Best I can do unfortunately is "Hamilton Hydromatic 3-blade propeller of 10'1" diameter".

(Martlet IV FN.111)
 
Dear All,

I would like to solve with your help one technical question related to Martlet Mk. I and IV, i.e. type and diameter of Hamilton Standard propeller installed in that version.

It may be 23E50 or 33D50, blade type ????? but who knows.

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Jindrich Nepevny,
Prague, Czech Republic


According to the excerpt of the Air Ministry document A.M.Os. N1521-N1568/1941 I found, the section N.1554. Variable-Pitch Airscrews Hamilton Standard—Allocation of A.M. Type Numbers, the Martlet I and Martlet IV had the prop 23E50 hub design series with the 6193A-18 and 6393A-18 prop blades.

prop HS_a.jpg


Also found this ...

F4F-3/3A/4 Wildcat I/Martlet I/II/III
Pratt and Witney 1830 76/86/90 -
Curtiss Electric Blades 614 and 512 -10st 0ins and 9ft 9ins diameter respectively.

F4F-4B/Martlet II/IV
Wright 1820
G200 – Hamilton Standard -6393A-18-10ft 1ins diameter
G-205A- Curtiss Electric – blade 614 -10ft 0ins dia. (Possibly Martlet only).

the source: F4F-3s Wake Island... prop blades tips?
 
The Mertlat Mk. II had a 23E50 hub, not sure of the dash number, and a 6393A-18 blade.

The post above shows much the same for the Mk. I and IV.

Likely about as close as you will get without an Erection and Maintenence Manual.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back