Masking techniques

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pinehilljoe

Senior Airman
May 1, 2016
Hi, I'm getting back into 1/48 plane builds, starting with some nastalgia Monogram kits. What do people use for masking now? Putty , Microsoft Mask, tape?

Still considering the Tamiya Masking Tape one of the best, both the yellow and white one. It is offered as rolls of different tape width. The width range is really great what allows to fit any model surface. The main trouble may be the price. Therefore the alternative is a similar tape for house painters and decorators that can be used. The width range is not so impressive but it is much cheapier that the Tamiya product.

The Tamiya tape
tamiya tape.jpg

tamiya tape white.jpg

the popular painter's one ...
painter tape.jpg

the pic source: the net.

I use both Tamiya and Washi tapes. Whenever I want a dependable paint line I use Tamiya. The Washi types of tape can used for color spraying seperation but it may 'bleed'. So be cautious. Washi can be purchased in various widths at a very reasonable price when compared to the Tamiya tapes. Washi tapes make excellent, economical, filler taping.You may want to look on Amazon but be careful, there are so many brands and different pricing between the same item. A selection of widths is handy but the wider tapes can be slit to accomidate if you don't want to invest a lot. I did some rough testing on adhesion, pulling already painted material away from model on a previous post. Do a search on Washi and it should pop up.

I do all the edges with Tamiya yellow and occasionally white (which bends around corners) then I infill with 3M Blue Tape. Tamiya is so good it's hands down as good as it gets. You can cut it to special shape and I have a couple of dividers with one edge ground to a chisel parallel to the direction of rotation. I can then cut perfect circles for masking wheels etc. I sometimes use liquid masks, but I'm not particularly overjoyed with them. Most don't work well with water-based model paints. The paint tends to dissolve the mask making it difficult to remove. Molotow has a Pen-based liquid mask that I'm experimenting with. The jury's still out on that one.

The esiest and quickiest way to paint wheels is still using of a brush. However there are the cutters for making masks and applying of a coat. The masks can be made using the masking tape of the correct width. There is a great selection of the cutters offered. You may have either of the callipers type or a cilcular one, both simple and more compound tools. Which one to buy , you have to decide yourself. Personally I use te one seen in the first image but a brush is still the main tool for me..

koła1.jpg

koła1a.jpg

koła1b.jpg

koła1c.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back