"McCampbell's Heroes", by Edwin P. Hoyt (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ccheese

Member In Perpetuity
Jul 10, 2007
Virginia Beach, Va.
Just started this book, another in a series by Mr. Hoyt on the events in the PTO.

This one focuses on Capt. David McCampbell and the men of the "Fabled Fifteen" (Air Group 15) who can boast 26 aces, sank or damaged 58 warships (including four Japanese carriers), for a total of 560,000 tons of enemy shipping. They destroyed almost 700 Japanese aircraft, half of them in the air.

Charles

How many planes/pilots was in this air group?

When CDR McCampbell reported aboard the USS ESSEX he had 122 pilots and 91 aircraft. Some of the aircraft were fighters (F6F's), some dive bombers (SB2C's), some torpedo bombers (TBF's) and a few scout planes.

Charles

Last edited:
When CDR McCampbell reported aboard the USS ESSEX he had 122 pilots and 91 aircraft. Some of the aircraft were fighters (F6F's), some dive bombers (SB2C's), some torpedo bombers (TBF's) and a few scout planes.

Charles

Thanks for the answer. I wanted to ask a few more simple questions instead of reading something myself about this (yes I'm that lazy :lol: ) but in time I did a quick check on the subject and now I have to read some book about the Air Group 15 because that was one hell of an air unit.* :D

*If you can say like that, sorry for my english.

Thanks for the answer. I wanted to ask a few more simple questions instead of reading something myself about this (yes I'm that lazy :lol: ) but in time I did a quick check on the subject and now I have to read some book about the Air Group 15 because that was one hell of an air unit.* :D

*If you can say like that, sorry for my english.

Marshall: Your English is fine, better than some English speaking people I know !

Miłego dnia

Charles

It is so wonderful to hear that people are still reading this book... my grandfather was a part of this squadron. Look him up! Ensign Copeland! Great to hear their story is still being read. I have done a few projects about The Fabled 15, are you aware of any other books or research about their group?

It is so wonderful to hear that people are still reading this book... my grandfather was a part of this squadron. Look him up! Ensign Copeland! Great to hear their story is still being read. I have done a few projects about The Fabled 15, are you aware of any other books or research about their group?

No, I am not aware of any other books about CAG 15..... Google might help....

Charles

There will be a new book coming out on the topic of Air Group 15, an e-book next spring, title "Fabled Fifteen." For those of you luddites who don't use e-books, for authors they are great - you can publish what interests you without having to jump through the hoops convincing a publisher they need to invest $100K without knowing if it will work or not, and then you can actually get paid in real money. Nowadays, too many of what's left of bookstores "pay" for new books with returns, leaving the publishers without cash and the authors with unfilled promises of money to keep a roof over their head. e-books can be downloaded on i-Pads and i-Phones with the cheap Kindle app (for Amazon).

Anyway, if anyone is interested, there will be news when this one comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back