McDonnell XP-67 Moonbat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Snautzer01

Honourably banned
Mar 26, 2007
McDonnell XP-67 Moonbat_01.jpg

Really? I'm not so sure with all that parasitic drag from all the blended surface area.

Yes, though it appears the XP-67 peak speed was at a higher altitude.

McDonnell XP-67 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lockheed XP-49 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interestingly they quote 1600hp for the XP-49 and 1350hp for the XP-67 engines, but the reality was that neither was likely to have much more than 1000hp available from teh engines during their test flights.

Anyway, here is a picture of it after the engine fire

Nice picture. I hadn't seen that before.

Pity about the engines.

I wonder what could have been made of the XP-67 with V-1710s and turbos rather than the IV-1430s.

In terms of performance, the XP-67 was very close/similar to the Lockheed XP-49, which also used turbo IV-1430s and was basically a tidied up P-38.

To me the McDonnell "Phantom" looked like it was an XP-67 with engines replaced by jets. All be it in a different position of course. But definitely very similar.

Really? I'm not so sure with all that parasitic drag from all the blended surface area.
View attachment 353786

Hey Cap'n, ever hear of interference drag? Happens when you bring two surfaces together at a sharp angle, as in fuselage/wing/nacelle. Increases dramatically as your (subsonic) mach number rises. In a go-fast high flier like the Moonbat the drag from the additional wetted area is more than offset by the reduction in interference drag, the delayed onset of transonic shockwaves, and the additional lift those blended airfoils provide. It's all about lift-over-drag, man.
Wonder what she would have done with decent engines. Pair of Darts, anyone?

Hey Cap'n, ever hear of interference drag? Happens when you bring two surfaces together at a sharp angle, as in fuselage/wing/nacelle. Increases dramatically as your (subsonic) mach number rises. In a go-fast high flier like the Moonbat the drag from the additional wetted area is more than offset by the reduction in interference drag, the delayed onset of transonic shockwaves, and the additional lift those blended airfoils provide. It's all about lift-over-drag, man.
Wonder what she would have done with decent engines. Pair of Darts, anyone?

Not sure what your driving at here friend. Are you saying the lack of something ("interference drag") means the lack of something else (parasitic drag)? No sure I understand your argument if that's what you mean.

Not sure what your driving at here friend. Are you saying the lack of something ("interference drag") means the lack of something else (parasitic drag)? No sure I understand your argument if that's what you mean.

I think he is saying the extra parasitic drag from the extra surface area is less then the reduction in interference drag, meaning that overall it will give lower drag.

Wasn't the interference drag part of the reason the Corsair went to the inverted gull wing? The 90° junction was though to give lower drag.

I think he is saying the extra parasitic drag from the extra surface area is less then the reduction in interference drag, meaning that overall it will give lower drag.

Wasn't the interference drag part of the reason the Corsair went to the inverted gull wing? The 90° junction was though to give lower drag.

Hey Cap'n, Wuzak's right. The reduction in interference drag (which is part of parasitic drag) more than compensates for the parasitic drag from the greater wetted surface. In addition, the airfoil shape of the blended fairings contributes more lift than it does drag, which only really works due to the laminar flow nature of the structure.
I read somewhere that the Corsair's gull wing was the result of having to have a short enough gear leg to fit in the wing structure, but have enough ground clearance for the propeller. The savings in interference drag I believe was a happy by-product.

You may be right, and I'm not saying you're not, but unless you can produce some sort of data to support your statements regarding this particular aircraft, than my friend, you are just blowing smoke. I honestly don't see how you could support the following two claims without access to period test reports, even if they DID address these two issues specifically.

1) The reduction in interference drag (which is part of parasitic drag) more than compensates for the parasitic drag from the greater wetted surface.

2) In addition, the airfoil shape of the blended fairings contributes more lift than it does drag, which only really works due to the laminar flow nature of the structure.

My original statement about parasitic drag was just a half-assed observation based only on my general aviation knowledge and college studies, both of which have suffered due to the passage of time. :lol:

You may be right, and I'm not saying you're not, but unless you can produce some sort of data to support your statements regarding this particular aircraft, than my friend, you are just blowing smoke. I honestly don't see how you could support the following two claims without access to period test reports, even if they DID address these two issues specifically.

1) The reduction in interference drag (which is part of parasitic drag) more than compensates for the parasitic drag from the greater wetted surface.

2) In addition, the airfoil shape of the blended fairings contributes more lift than it does drag, which only really works due to the laminar flow nature of the structure.

My original statement about parasitic drag was just a half-assed observation based only on my general aviation knowledge and college studies, both of which have suffered due to the passage of time. :lol:

Well Cap'n, it appears your "half-assed observation" was right on the money. In digging a little deeper on this, it seems that the advanced concepts in this case didn't pan out in real-world performance. We could argue til the cows come home about "what if" the 'bat had ever had the thrust to reach the speed regime for which it was designed, but fact is, it didn't happen. 1200 HP shy of design power is a pretty big deficit to overcome. At the higher angles of attack that the slower speeds entail, the wetted area parasite drag of the blended fairings becomes more significant; the savings in interference drag less so.
Seems McDonnell was cheated in the engine department over and over again. Not until the days of the Voodoo and the Phantom II, did he ever get engines for his planes that delivered their design thrust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back