Me-109 G tail wheel question........ (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Swede Ware

Airman
Apr 6, 2020
Hamilton, Ohio
I have seen a few photos of -109's with a longer tail wheel strut. It seemed to be -G models but I can't nail it down. I am working up a -G 10 or possible 14. So was needing to know where this tail wheel difference can be nailed down to which -109. NOT the mid belly wheel for a bomb attachment. Any and all info and tips appreciated!!!

IIRC, the extended tailwheel was the another attempt to help a pilot see over the cowl and give the better angle of attack during taking off. As memo serves the longer leg appeared with late G-6 planes in 1944. It was also used for G-10 and G-14.

I planned on that, but, is this an anomaly for the A/C? This particular arrangement just being found on one A/C here and then another farther down the production line for each model? Its rather clear it was never an accepted conversion for a particular model. If it appears on models 6, 10 and 14, which is a good length of time and number of A/C, why would it appear just wily-nilly through close to the last half of production? Normally the Germans didn't just toss odd ball items onto an A/C then wait X amount of units to come through before mounting it on another A/C. Things that make you go "Hmmmmm" !!!

At the end of war German factories were an assembling place that worked with many small co-operating workshops. As a result there could be differences in final products. For instance there were two variants of the cockpit canopy , the standard one with the heavy frame and the one called the Erla Haube mounted by the Erla factory. Also there were attached two variants of the fin+rudder sections ( the standard metal one and the wooden one). So all depended on a factory.

Yes, somewhat up to speed on the two tails and the CG problem with the wood. Are there any files or books that cover the different mfg. companies such as Urla? Would really like to look into the different building practices and irregularities that were produced. That was partly what caught my eye with the extended tail strut. While, yes it would improve visibility on the ground a bit, the -109 was already inherently "akward" on take offs and taxiing. I have a number of hours on "tail draggers" and they are a different breed compared to tricycle types, then add in the NARROW span of the -109 and , there ya go. Was difficult to put together all the items needed to create a horror of an A/C on the ground!

Great Info! Followed up on the book and Amazon has it so will order here shortly, don't know when the next -109 project may pop up but I'll have the info I need!!!! Your the man......thanks for all the help!!!!!

Great Info! Followed up on the book and Amazon has it so will order here shortly, don't know when the next -109 project may pop up but I'll have the info I need!!!! Your the man......thanks for all the help!!!!!
You are welcome!
This is one of the books one should have with or without 109-projects. You might not use it every day, but it will be the first thing to open when you have a question.
Enjoy it!
Cheers!

Very, very good for later versions where the author is an expert, but lacking in the earlier A-F coverage, not the authors area of expertise.

Sidebar: Mass production of aircraft, especially by different factories, inevitably led to um inconsistencies. Our Dauntless was an A-24B (Omaha) restored as an SBD-5 (Santa Monica) and we scrounged parts/components from both variants. Our rear canopy hatch allowed a gap between the rear of the hatch and the front of the gunner's upright windscreen (aft of the seat.) It whistled-whoostled across the top of my helmet at any airspeed. With the enormous number of 109 models-variants, there must've been comparable deviation throughout some airframes.

Just FWIW

Users who are viewing this thread