ME-163 Komet RLM colors -- what are the latest conclusions?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MrSmoothie

Airman
Jan 21, 2019
I've done a lot of research on ME-163 color schemes, and collected dozens of really well-done color profiles. But as we know, even gorgeous profiles can have errors. Many of these profiles are of the same aircraft, yet have conflicting color schemes.

While it seems pretty safe to assume 76 for undersides, and fuselage/rudder (prior to mottling), what are the latest thoughts on the two dark colors?
This page has much: Me 163B camouflages

It seems 81/83 is a safe bet. But many profiles suggest 74/75 on early examples. The above site makes a good case for 70/71.

Is it all simply conjecture at this point?

For my project, I'm leaning towards a mottled fuselage (Klemm manufactured fuselages we heavily mottled). Would Klemm examples likely been 74/75 or 81/83?

The excellent Monogram book by Merrick and Hitchcock have the four view page listing the factory paint as 81/82/76. Whether Klemm followed this pattern as factory standard I don't know. Hope this helps.

Coincidentally, I happened upon that high res image just this morning through a different search, at a Komet info website. At this time, I have narrowed my choices to that particular aircraft, 191301, and "White 18" from JG600. The latter saw action of course, while 191301 was probably selected specifically because it was in new or mostly unused condition. Note that it even had the tail wheel fairing still installed, which most had removed in service. Thanks for that link -- other nice Komet shots there I have not seen before!

Has anybody every seen a color photo of a surviving example of the special rubberized flight suit that Komet pilots wore? I imagine they were "gray" but beyond that? Bluish? Greenish? Neutral?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back