Me-262 Taxi Test

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geez, when you said "Faceplant" I thought for a second that they collapsed the nose gear. Glad that wasn't the case. Not sure how old that video is but I see the smoke still seems to be an issue.

Yeah I know. I'm following this build and know one of the guys on the crew. Haven't heard about things for a while now and am wondering if something didn't go well. I thought they were trying to get it in the air in late 2019 but we would have heard by now if that was the case.

The website says stand by for further news. WX has been bad in the NW so that might be the reason for a delay right there.

Some good color shots of the 004 there if anyone wants any.

Well, the biggest problem with the Me-262 is that it not only did not have "modern materials"; it did not even have the proper 1940's materials. The Germans had a desperate shortage of nickel alloys, the same materials the US used in such profligate manner for the turbosuperchargers used in B-17, B-24, B-29, P-38, P-47. That was the reason the ME-262 engines had a typical service life of around 25 hours. They had to use steel rather than nickel alloys. They were also unable to put a turbosupercharged FW-190 into production. The V-2 rocket did not use a gas generator system but instead the turbopump was powered by H2O2, which is a much colder reaction that ordinary steel and aluminum could handle. Today aluminum spray over steel is still a popular way to build cheaper exhaust systems, but they are considered to be inferior to stainless steel pipes, and the Germans had to do that as well.

Just this week I was poking around on Google looking for an update -- neat to see this video though -- so I take it the smoke near the end is a problem? I read a nice article on this restoration and was pleased that they went further than some in trying to determine accurate color and markings. Not to mention, a very unique camo pattern for the 262.

I visited the FHC on Saturday and asked about the 262. The guy I talked with said they had to send one of the engines back for some work. As is usually the case, no reason or timeline was given.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back