Me109 Rotte 7 video

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

thanks for the link :smilecolros:
nice video of the gustav, and yeap you are right about the 3 point landing, neat!!!!!!
the bad thing is that it crashed some days ago, :puppydogeyes:

the lancaster kicks ass said:
question, why is this not in the video section?

It was put in the other section as someone questioned my statement that the 109 did 3 point landings (forgot which thread). The vid proves that it did.

I don't know that it does because it doesn't look like a very tight turn and that is what the 3 point turn is- A very tight turn. After looking at the video, I remain yet to be convinced that that is evidence. While I agree that the Bf-109 could do three point turns easily as it was a fighter, I don't think that video proves it.

evangilder said:
He said three point landing. What is a three point turn in regards to an airplane?

A 3 point landing is done when landing a tail dragger. The goal is to get the aircraft to stall inches above the ground and have all 3 wheels contact the ground at once. This is the optimum landing technique for most aircraft although it restricts frontal view. Unless the aircraft is nose heavy, the safest approach is a wheels landing, letting the mains contact the ground first then allow the tail to come down as airspeed dissipates. This gives better frontal view during the landing roll.

evangilder said:
Thanks FBJ, but I knew that, I was asking what a three point turn was. I never heard of a three point turn in an airplane.

You know, I went brain dead and didn't even notice three point turn :oops: Can't figure that one out! :-k

The 109 is clearly still a schwein of a plane - esp when landing it.

I recall the first time I ever saw one in the air. It was at Biggin Hill in the early 80s. We got there early so we saw the rehearsal for the mock dogfight with a Spitfire (MH434 I think) and we were impressed. But then when the 109 came into land the pilot misjudged it and ground looped it. End of that display and a great disappointment to all the people that came later to see the star of the show the WW2 dogfight.

Worse than that the 109's last victim was Mark Hanna. I hate that plane for taking this wonderful guy from us.

And just to think they were thinking of operating it from an aircraft carrier.

A three-point turn is a very tight sort of combat turn. It is difficult to describe but you know it when you see it. One wing goes down almost into a stall type vertical position downwards and the other points upwards. It is usually done in the air.

From what you describe, I would hope it is done in the air! But that sounds like a normal turn. Where did you hear about a three point turn in an airplane? None of my pilot friends have a clue what you are talking about.

one thing i forgot to point in the main title, is that rotte is the formation and not the color, it should be rot

I have heard about it in relation to WW1 WW2 dogfights, the whole idea is that the plane almost stalls but not quite, and from what I heard about it it was used on those planes. I don't think it would work with a modern jet somehow. From what I understand it was used to get around turning-circle limitations. I don't think I have any examples though of it actually being done. I would examine though that as a manouvre it would take a lot of experience. I don't know, they may call it something else, or not know of it due to flying jets. It is something that I don't think anyone would perform today in one of those aircrafts because of the danger. If you like a 3 point turn by understanding is like a controlled total stall where you stall the plane in one direction and then level out in the direction you want to go. Actually it similar to that Gimlee Glider manouvre where you are using both the ruder and the flaps to slide-slip the plane down from a fast speed, probably the best example is what happened with that Glimlee Glider incident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back