Me109 wing camo (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SirFrancis

Airman 1st Class
Feb 10, 2022
Hey guys, I've seen pics of Me109s in desert camo with a mottle pattern on the wings as well as fuselage. However all the continental schemes I've seen only seem to have the mottle on fuselage and wings are all in a splinter pattern. Has anyone come across evidence of a mottle pattern on the wings of one of these continental Me109s? Reason is I found an Me109 model I built as a kid many years ago and I did a dark grey/green mottle over light grey all over fuselage and wings. Now the purist in a much older me is wondering if this was a work of fiction / artistic license or did I find something to base this on all those years ago?
Ok cheers Francis

Generally, the factory finish consisted of a two-tone splinter but there were MANY field-applied schemes to suit local conditions. I'm sure someone can/will post some examples.

Yep, like Black 12 "Hermannschen"

14101305.jpg

Hey guys, I've seen pics of Me109s in desert camo with a mottle pattern on the wings as well as fuselage. However all the continental schemes I've seen only seem to have the mottle on fuselage and wings are all in a splinter pattern. Has anyone come across evidence of a mottle pattern on the wings of one of these continental Me109s? Reason is I found an Me109 model I built as a kid many years ago and I did a dark grey/green mottle over light grey all over fuselage and wings. Now the purist in a much older me is wondering if this was a work of fiction / artistic license or did I find something to base this on all those years ago?
Ok cheers Francis
Well I found a photo of the actual aircraft....
Me109G6/R3/R6Trop III, JG27 (White 9 +1) 7th​ Staffel, William Tell Emblem flown by Unteroffizier Rudolf Moycis, tipped over on landing at Maleme Crete, Dec 1943.
So info I gleaned from Wiki indicates.... III JG27 operated in Mediterranean from late 1941 until March 44. Then Defense of Reich/ Western Front / Bodenplatte.
The photo appears to show a heavy grey mottle fuselage, and i can make out the demarcation edges of splinter on the wings. So ....now I know....my young artistic flair at play! Lol.

Me109-G6R3R6Trop-III.7.JG27-White(9+I)-III-Gruppe-Black-Cross-with-Yellow-Planes-On-White-Shie...jpg

Oh wow that looks good. Kinda looks like a North Africa / Mediterranean scheme with all the brown. Was this JG54?

Thanks and yes. Bf109F-2 of 2/JG54 flown by Ufz. Peter Bremer in Russia, autumn 1941.

Great that you found a pic of your bird and, yes, it looks like standard factory 74/75/76 camo. Definitely no wing mottles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back