Merlin Music

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

glennasher

Senior Airman
Jun 16, 2007
Louisville, KY
There's a large airshow going on in Louisville, KY today. I didn't go because the crowds are too large, and the traffic is nightmarish when it's over. I live on the flightpath between the show area and the airport, though:).

I had to check the air pressure in my tires, so I stopped at a nearby gas station, and heard a roar overhead. When I looked up, an F-16 was flying over. Neat.

Then I heard something MUCH more invigorating, a Mustang flew over, and he had it wound up pretty tight. That Merlin Music is about the sweetest engine sound there is, bar none, in my book. I think I'd never get tired of hearing that sound.

I've seen that Mustang at other airshows around here, it's a blue/white Cavalier, and the Packard has been replaced with the real Rolls Royce.

We used to have another airshow nearby, one year there were at least sixteen Mustangs, a P-40, a flying P-38J (not Glacier Girl, she was there, too, but still in parts), Fifi the B-29, Tora,Tora,Tora, etc. I preferred that show to the big one downtown they have now.

Cool. Very cool, actually. In fact, this last thursday I saw two C-130s fly not 300 ft. above my house for a fly by at a baseball game or something. I wish there was a few P-51s in my town.

Went to an airshow once with P-51s and it was great but then one broke away and started doing dives onto the airfield. The whine! The whistling! Coolest thing I ever heard.

4 km from my mother's house is Oostwold airport, home of the only Netherlands-based P51, 'Damn Yankee'. When I visit my mum, it sometimes flies overhead, very nice (and a beautiful aircraft, too). This owner organizes a flightsow, every 2 years. It's one of the best in The Netherlands. It's a small strip, the public always has the sun in the back, so great for photo's. Last year there was a Hurricane. Most awsome sound of a Merlin I've heard, even beats the Mustangs and the Spit.
95036.jpg

95077.jpg

95128.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back