Merlin P-51 engine intake differences

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BarnOwlLover

Staff Sergeant
Nov 3, 2022
Mansfield, Ohio, USA
The concerns the switch to the narrowed width intake that was introduced on the XP-51F/G and used on the P-51H, XP-82 and P-82B/C/D. I know that those planes also had small intakes flanking the supercharger intake for cooling engine ignition system parts. But they're "missing" on the P-51B/C/D/K, though those planes had a wider intake. Were those cooling apertures incorporated into the wider intake on the earlier Merlin Mustangs?

Other than the different shape, was there other ducts for the cooling of such items in the first gen Merlin Mustangs' engine air intake, and if so, where were they located? Those items became separate ducts on the lightweights, the P-51H and the Merlin F-82s.

Could there be any tech illustrations or photos that could show what I'm looking for/trying to figure out? I'm sure that there might be (some) cooling ducts in the B/D supercharger intakes that are "external" (not integrated and separated) on the lightweights and the H/Merlin Twin Mustangs.

Last edited:
P-51DesignAnal-4.jpg
P-51DesignAnal-5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back