Messerschmitt Me-262 Jet Fighter (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Parmigiano said:
My 2 cents on the topic: this is apicture of probably the first prototype, when the bird was still a tailsitter.
It comes from the basement of my wife's parent house near Guenzburg, where the Me test airfield was located for some time.
I think it was never released on the net.

cheers

That pic can be found on pg 103 pg of '262' Vol. 1. by Smith/Creek. It is of the Me262 V3. Other pics of the V3 have Me323s in them.

Thank you KK, at least I can eventually track the original source.
There are several other pictures, including a He 219 Uhu and some US recce photos of the bombing of the airfield, and nobody in the family could figure out how and why they were in the house.

btw, when this book was published?

Parmigiano,

the series of 4 books was published beginning in 2000 by Classic Publications. The ISBN is 1-903223-10-5 for Vol 1. The dust cover also has the photo.

http://www.ianallanpublishing.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=319&sort=2a&filter_id=13&page=3

It might be worth your while to contact J. Richard Smith and Eddie J. Creek for more info.

Was one of your relatives involved with the base? It is possible that the photos were copies of the originals.

Don't put anymore pics up on the net, dispite being very interesting, for they might be worth something ($$$).

I am confused with Günzburg. The first flight of the V3 is said to have been from Leipheim. Is Günzburg near Leipheim?

Thank you KK,

No, there was no relative in the base in WWII, my wife's family was part of the Czech-Germans 'relocated' from the Sudet and the house was actually built from scratch after the war. That's why, after the old generation passed away, that nobody has any clue about the pictures.

Leipheim is about 3 miles from Guenzburg, so the airfield is probably the same.

correct ! there was a small placard at the base of my cousins oak cross with this, so I have used it since as my siggy. Very appropriate for all the fallen from both sides of the war..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back