Meyerweissflog's Me109E

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

To be honest these markings on the plane say that machine is of the Geschwader Adjutant of the Stab ( Staff ) flight of a Jagdgeschwader (a Fighter Squadron). Of which squadron the plane was , we can find out either by finding a Werk Nummer of the plane ( it can be noticed on the fin of the Bf 109E under the swastica and a little bit in front of it) or from old documents, writing, pilots' , crews' memories etc.... But who was flown the plane we can get information from pilot's log books or an aircraft book. Also from unit members' memories etc...
Additionally if we know a squadron, a plane belonged to and a period of time a picture was taken, we can compare it to pilots' list who were servicing at that time in the unit and their emplacements .

The information that the BF 109E-4 was flown by Hptm. Wilhelm Meyerweissflog you can confirm by getting contact with Bundesarchiv in Germany. But all books I have gone through say it was his "Emil"

There's a very good chance that that could be your aircraft. All three Gruppen of JG 53 used Guernsey as a forward base (german-absprungplatz) between July and the end of August 1940 (Prien). That photograph would certainly fit that time period. The rank markings,Gruppe bar and overall camouflage of the aircraft in the picture are very much like Meyerweissflog's. As Wurger said that style of grey camouflage was unusual in 1940.
I wouldn't bet my house on it without the sort of evidence mentioned above,maybe my garden shed though :)
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back