MG 151/20 shell colors

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

According to the german ammo manual available here a black projectile should be AP, black with upper yellow band should be APHE, both without self-destructive fuse.
An upper green band should be a marking for self destructive fuse.

The upper of the two-set pics looks to be a 20x80 MG FF piece, yellow color = HE. The other marking looks like either like green or blue, a green band would be self destructive fuse but the position should be just below the ammo cap and not so much down below. A blue band would indicate an incendiary component, maybe this is a HE-I shell

The lower of the two looks like a 20x82 MG 151 incendiary with glow-tracer and self destructive fuse. Blue = incendiary, upper green band = self desructive fuse, lower dark red band = Glow-tracer, probably from an aircraft to operate at night (light red would be tracer).

hi its me again

i bought this round and i know its an AP round but i am not sure what the blue band denotes. can anyone tell me?

a905_1.jpg

hi, i cannot see "Ph" or "E" anywhere on it. the markings on the head read "wg32 d42 115g"

hi me again i found another round tucked away and yet again i am not sure what it is, apart from AP can anybody tell me?

its the same as this but the band is white
a905_1.jpg

The only coloured bands on German 20mm AP projectiles which are shown in my source are:

Near the tip:
- yellow = HE
- blue = incendiary
- yellow over green = HE self-destruct

The addition of a red band around the base of any of the above indicates a tracer (the dim tracer has a slightly darker and wider band).

The colours may of course fade over time.

No band means just a plain AP

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion forum

Hi there! I came across your discussion about the Mg-151/20 ammo, can anyone estimate how much these original cartridges cost and also the original Mg-151 machine gun. Does anyone know if they are available to purchase anywhere? Thanks in advance!

there sure is a few varations..here is just a couple of them..some Mg 151 bullets..some Mg FF and some flak 38

Attachments

• shells 001.jpg
    shells 001.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 620
  • shells 002.jpg
    shells 002.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 418
a few more. these colour pics of the different types have been posted on another thread in here. just thought they would go well in here on this thread

Attachments

• 20mm1.jpg
    20mm1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,708
  • WW2aircart.jpg
    WW2aircart.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 740
  • Oe1b.jpg
    Oe1b.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 2,091
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 688
  • 20x82-3.jpg
    20x82-3.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,271
Last edited:
Nice pics of the ammo, working on a belt me too missing the yellow ones, and the limks then its good for the xmas tree!!

best U :lol:

Hi all:

Here is my compilation drawing of a 20 mm HE/incendiary w/ night tracer & self destruct fuse.

Regards,
James

Attachments

• Fl 205004-001 20mm HEI round.pdf
    699.8 KB · Views: 226

Users who are viewing this thread

Back