Michael Vick Dogfighting Case Opens Racial Divide

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

God, what a terrible man. I do not like the NFL (more because I don't like football, hockey hockey hockey), but this certainly will not help me like it any more. I hope he never plays again.

Speaking of disgraceful...

Listen to what this idiot, R.L. White, president of the Atlanta chapter of the NAACP, has to say about Michael Vick...

ATLANTA — An NAACP leader said Michael Vick should be allowed to return to the NFL, preferably the Atlanta Falcons, after serving his sentence for his role in a dogfighting operation.

"As a society, we should aid in his rehabilitation and welcome a new Michael Vick back into the community without a permanent loss of his career in football," said R.L. White, president of the group's Atlanta chapter. "We further ask the NFL, Falcons, and the sponsors not to permanently ban Mr. Vick from his ability to bring hours of enjoyment to fans all over this country."

White said the Falcons quarterback made a mistake and should be allowed to prove he has learned from that mistake.

On Monday, Vick said through a lawyer that he will plead guilty to a federal charge of conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture.

Three Vick associates have pleaded guilty to the conspiracy charge and say Vick provided nearly all the gambling and operating funds for the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting enterprise. Two of them also said Vick participated in executing at least eight underperforming dogs, raising the possibility of the animal cruelty charges.

Last month, state and local leaders of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People urged the public not to rush to judgment in the Vick case. The civil rights organization said animal rights groups, talk radio and the news media were vilifying the embattled athlete, and that his team and corporate sponsors were prematurely punishing Vick.

White said the Atlanta chapter supports Vick's decision to accept a plea bargain if it's in his best interest, but he questioned the credibility of Vick's co-defendants, saying an admission of guilt might be more about cutting losses than the truth.

"At this point, you're not looking at guilt or innocence," White said, referring to the possible harsher sentence Vick could have received had he taken his case to trial and been found guilty. "You're thinking, 'What I better do is cut my losses and take a plea.' But if he saw this as the best thing to do at this point for his future, then I think he made the correct choice."

White said he regretted that the plea deal will mean all the facts of the case might never be known.

"Some have said things to save their own necks," White said. "Michael Vick has received more negative press than if he had killed a human being."

White said he does not support dogfighting and that he considers it as bad as hunting. :rolleyes:

"His crime is, it was a dog," White said.

Lets review:
Don Imus says something stupid, not a curse or violation of Federal law - loses job and becomes vilified.

Michael Vick gambles and kills dogs IN violation of Federal and State laws - and we should give him forgivness.

Yep I love equality!

I'm not a football fan; I don't know one player from another. But, Vick is a
home town boy, so the local papers are full of him and is exploits. I hope
he never plays football for anyone, ever again. I'm really surprised PETA
hasn't been in the thick of it, considering their home office is in Norfolk.

Now the NAACP has been heard....... Makes you wonder.....

Charles

I agree. Animal Cruelty is very bad thing and I completely disagree with it and think offenders should be punished very harshly.

PETA however is not the answer. They are a bunch of idiots in my opinion.

Being in the business, PETA and a few other organizations are complete nuts. 2 years ago employees of PETA were charged and convicted of animal cruelty for killing dogs and improperly disposing of the bodies. Hypocrites!

This is the latest from Fox News....

RICHMOND, Va. — Following an appearance in federal court Monday during which he pleaded guilty to a federal dogfighting conspiracy charge, suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick said he took responsibility for his actions and apologized to his teammates, fans and bosses within the Falcon's organization and NFL.

"I apologize for all the things I've done and allowed to happen," Vick said during a press conference about an hour after he entered his guilty plea. Admitting to being uncomfortable with public speaking, Vick said he was "speaking from the heart."

In a separate press conference in Atlanta later Monday, the Falcons said they would not cut Vick immediately because of salary-cap issues. The team intends to pursue the $22 million in bonus money that he already received in a $130 million contract signed in 2004.

"We cannot tell you today that Michael is cut from the team," owner Arthur Blank said.

Capping one of the most rapid and startling falls from stardom in U.S. sports history, Vick made official the agreement his attorneys worked out with prosecutors.

Repeatedly saying that he would "not point the finger" or blame others for his predicament, Vick said he had "not been honest or forthright" in discussing his involvement in dogfighting with his teammates, Falcon's owner Arthur Blank, and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell because he had been "ashamed" and "disappointed in myself."

Vick also repeatedly apologized to his young football fans, saying his behavior was "immature."
"I apologize to the young kids for my immature acts," Vick said. "What I did was immature and I need to grow up," he said.

"I'm more disappointed in myself more than anything for all the young kids out there who looked at Michael Vick as a role model," he said. He said he wanted to become a "better Michael Vick," and would have "a lot of downtime to think about what I've done."

Asking for "forgiveness and understanding," Vick said he would "turn my life over to God. That's the right thing to do right now."

"Dogfighting is a terrible thing and I reject it," he said.
Vick appeared Monday before U.S. District Judge Henry Hudson, who asked Vick whether he knew what evidence the government had against him and whether he had gone over the facts of the case with his legal team.

"You're taking your chances here. You'll have to live with whatever decision I make," Hudson said.

The plea agreement calls for a sentencing range of 12 to 18 months. But Hudson, who is known for handing down tough sentences, reminded Vick during the hearing that he is not bound by any recommendation or federal sentencing guidelines and could sentence Vick to as much as five years in prison when he is sentenced Dec. 10.

"A first-time offender might well receive no jail time for this offense," U.S. Attorney Chuck Rosenberg said in a statement. "We thought, however, that the conduct in this conspiracy was heinous, cruel and inhumane."

Part of Vick's punishment will include paying for the care of dogs rescued from the dogfighting ring.
Vick entered a written plea filed in federal court in Richmond, Va., on Friday. He admitted helping kill six to eight pit bulls and supplying money for gambling on the fights. He says he did not personally place any bets or share in any winnings.

Vick is one of four defendants in the case. The first defendant to plead guilty left the conspiracy in 2004 and is not as culpable, Rosenberg said.

The case began in late April when authorities conducting a drug investigation of Vick's cousin raided the former Virginia Tech star's rural Surry County property and seized dozens of dogs, some injured, and equipment commonly used in dogfighting.

A federal indictment issued in July charged Vick, Purnell Peace of Virginia Beach, Quanis Phillips of Atlanta and Tony Taylor of Hampton with an interstate dogfighting conspiracy. Vick initially denied any involvement, and all four men pleaded innocent. Taylor was the first to change his plea to guilty; Phillips and Peace soon followed.

The details outlined in the indictment and other court papers fueled a public backlash against Vick and cost him several lucrative endorsement deals, even before he agreed to plead guilty.
The NFL suspended Vick indefinitely and without pay Friday after his plea agreement was filed. Merely associating with gamblers can trigger a lifetime ban under the league's personal conduct policy.

Dogfighting is illegal in all 50 states and a felony in 48 states. About 600 cases have been prosecuted over the past five years.

Charles

By LARRY O'DELL, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 12 minutes ago

RICHMOND, Va. - First, Michael Vick apologized to all the people he lied to. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank. Coach Bobby Petrino. His teammates.

"I was not honest and forthright in our discussions," the star quarterback said Monday, somber and deliberate and not speaking from notes.

Then he apologized to "all the young kids out there for my immature acts."

"I need to grow up," he added.

And so began a public act of contrition from Vick, who pleaded guilty to a federal dogfighting charge and then stood behind a podium to say his job now was "bettering Michael Vick the person, not the football player."

There he was, a QB so deft and nimble he pulled off any number of amazing scrambles on the field. Now he was scrambling to save himself and his football future because of his role in a gruesome dogfighting ring.

Saying he was speaking "from the heart," Vick said he took full responsibility for his actions.

"Dogfighting is a terrible thing, and I did reject it," he said.

Acceptance of responsibility is one of the factors U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson will consider in handing down Vick's sentence Dec. 10. The federal sentencing guideline range is projected at a year to 18 months, but Hudson can impose up to the five-year maximum.

Vick was suspended indefinitely by the NFL after his written plea agreement was filed in court Friday.

"So I got a lot of down time, a lot of time to think about my actions and what I've done and how to make Michael Vick a better person," said Vick, who grew up in Newport News.

"I will redeem myself. I have to," he vowed.

In Atlanta, the Falcons said they would not cut Vick immediately because of salary-cap issues. The team intends to pursue the $22 million in bonus money that he already received in a $130 million contract signed in 2004.

"We cannot tell you today that Michael is cut from the team," Blank said. "Cutting him today may feel better emotionally for us and many of our fans. But it's not in the long-term best interests of our franchise."

Vick, who took no questions after his first public statement about the dogfighting ring, said little in court. With family members, including his brother and mother, watching from the front row of the packed courtroom, Vick stood flanked by two of his five lawyers and softly answered "Yes, sir" and "No, sir" to Hudson's questions.

The plea was accepted by Hudson, who asked: "Are you entering the plea of guilty to a conspiracy charge because you are in fact guilty?"

Vick answered yes, and Hudson emphasized his broad latitude in sentencing.

"You're taking your chances here. You'll have to live with whatever decision I make," he said.

U.S. Attorney Chuck Rosenberg said a first-time offender ordinarily might receive no jail time for the dogfighting conspiracy.

"We thought, however, that the conduct in this conspiracy was heinous, cruel and inhumane," he said.

Blank and general manager Rich McKay refused to say whether Vick would ever play for the Falcons again, though their reluctance to cut ties with the quarterback is related more to complicated legal issues than any willingness to take him back. They've already sent a "demand letter" to Vick saying they will attempt to recoup the bonus money he was paid.

"We realize that this situation has tarnished our franchise," Blank said. "We've heard from fans who are embarrassed to wear the No. 7 jersey now. We cannot undo what's been done. But we can and we will recover from this."

The Falcons will receive a $6 million cap credit for Vick's salary this year since he's been suspended without pay. They are still on the hook for about $22 million in prorated bonus obligations spread out over this season and the next two. Any bonus money that is returned by Vick will be credited to Atlanta's cap number.

"We feel very comfortable that we have plenty of room going forward in which to field a competitive team," McKay said.

Baseball Hall of Famer Hank Aaron and former Atlanta Mayor and U.N. Ambassador Andrew Young, both members of the Falcons' board, attended the news conference at Blank's corporate headquarters in Atlanta.

"I've never seen someone who had so much ability and has fallen so far," Aaron said. "It's not what is going to happen as far as his football career is concerned. It's just him as a man, as a human being, being able to get his life back."

Asked if he expected Vick to return to the Falcons some day, Aaron replied, "I hope so."

Outside the courthouse, a contingent of Vick supporters sang "This Little Light of Mine" and other hymns, while holding signs that said "We Love You" and urged Vick to seek support in religion. Steven Terry, pastor of Deliverance Tabernacle Church in the Tidewater area, organized the group of at least two dozen supporters.

"The scripture is clear — he that's without sin, cast the first stone," he said.

A few dozen animal-rights protesters also stood outside the courthouse, some holding signs saying "Prosecute All Dogfighters."

In his written plea, Vick admitted helping kill six to eight pit bulls and supplying money for gambling on the fights. He said he did not personally place any bets or share in any winnings, but merely associating with gambling can result in a lifetime ban under the league's personal conduct policy.

Three Vick co-defendants who previously pleaded guilty said Vick bankrolled the enterprise, and two of them said Vick participated in executing dogs that were not vicious enough in testing. The three had agreed to testify against Vick had the case gone to trial.

The case began in late April when authorities conducting a drug investigation of Vick's cousin raided the former Virginia Tech star's rural Surry County property and seized dozens of dogs, some injured, and equipment commonly used in dogfighting.

A federal indictment issued in July charged Vick, Purnell Peace of Virginia Beach, Quanis Phillips of Atlanta and Tony Taylor of Hampton with an interstate dogfighting conspiracy. Vick initially denied any involvement, and all four men pleaded innocent. Taylor was the first to change his plea to guilty; Phillips and Peace soon followed.

The gruesome details outlined in the indictment — dogs were hanged, drowned and electrocuted — fueled a public backlash against Vick and cost him several lucrative endorsement deals, even before he agreed to plead guilty.

The Falcons defeated the Cincinnati Bengals 24-19 at home Monday night as Vick's replacement Joey Harrington threw two touchdown passes.

"We're putting the emotions, the shock, the disappointment, the anger and the once-held hope that this was not true behind us," Blank said. "I assure you we'll do all we possibly can to make this season a success."

You know when I saw the word "dogfighting" in the title of this thread, I thought WWII.

Must be all those History Channel dogfights I have been watching on youtube!

I have seen an dog on dog induced dogfight once in my life, I was 9. I was visiting a community of people. First this St. Bernard was growling at some golden retriever kind of dog I think. They eyed each other rumbling. There was a basset hound too. Suddenly they rush, and it seems like out of nowhere more dogs rush in yapping. One of them reminded me of brown pittbull, but I don't think she was. A bundle of growling, yelping fur, all in a clinging pile of 'em. It's kinda blur my memory. my brother was there too watching. Then as soon as it's started it's over. They scatter.

I find the basset hound, under a car, with quite a few cuts on him, some on ears. Nothing too serious I hope. And the retriever is there too, and he's got cuts, on his legs a few. I think the St. Bernard, saw him later, was a bit chewed too.

Well, we weren't bitten, but those poor dogs were. I bet their owners weren't very happy.

Dog advocates seek tough sentence for Vick, shelter for animals

By DAVE FORSTER, The Virginian-Pilot
September 13, 2007

Eleven dog advocacy groups have asked a federal judge to sentence Michael Vick to nearly five years in prison and to seize the property he used for dogfighting so that it can be turned into a shelter for abused dogs.

The groups, which include animal rescue organizations and the National American Pit Bull Terrier Association, also wants the NFL star to pay more than $10 million to rehabilitate the pit bulls he and his three co-defendants once bred for fighting in Surry County.

The organizations are attempting to sway U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson when he sentences Vick on Dec. 10. The judge on Monday signed an order that allowed the group to file its motion, but he won't allow them to speak or actively participate at the sentencing.

An attorney for Vick had no comment.

Vick, a Newport News native who played for the Atlanta Falcons, has pleaded guilty to a dogfighting conspiracy charge that is punishable by up to five years in prison. He is serving an indefinite suspension from the NFL while he awaits his sentence.

The 31-page argument filed by the animal groups discusses the harm Vick's dog fighting ring has had on the animals and how the publicity from his case has damaged the reputation of pit bull owners in general.

"Hopefully it has more impact on saving the dogs than anything
else," said Paul McCourt Curley, a Richmond lawyer who is one of two attorneys working pro bono for the group.

The motion also asks Hudson to have the dogs that were seized from Vick's property evaluated and, if possible, rehabilitated. It offers the name of a dog trainer and said his rehabilitation work "can take as little as six months but as long as two years."

In April, authorities seized about 54 pit bulls from 1915 Moonlight Road , the Surry property that Vick bought in 2001 to host a dogfighting venture known as "Bad Newz Kennels," according to a statement Vick signed with his guilty plea. The dogs have been kept in local shelters pending an evaluation to determine whether they should be euthanized.

The dog advocates asked Hudson to send Vick to prison for four years and nine months. In August, Vick accepted a plea deal from prosecutors that calls for a recommended sentencing range of between 12 months and 18 months.
Flora Edwards, a New York attorney who is also helping the dog advocates, said the organizations behind the motion coordinated largely through the Internet. Their push for action grew after many of the members felt Vick wasn't genuinely contrite in his public apology after his guilty plea, Edwards said.

The group filed its motion as a "friend of the court," meaning it has an interest in the case but is not a party to it.

The motion said every pit bull kept as a household companion becomes a victim of the "media blitz" that follows dogfighting cases. "Every responsible Pit Bull owner is eyed with suspicion, every responsible breeder is suspected of breeding 'fighting dogs,'" the motion said.

The dog advocates estimated that the cost of rehabilitating the pit bulls – paid for by Vick – could surpass $10 million. In addition, the group asked that Vick be fined $250,000 – the maximum allowed for his charge – to support a public education campaign against dog fighting.

The group also asked Hudson to seize Vick's Surry property and force him to pay $500,000 to transform it into a no-kill shelter for abused and neglected dogs. The public court record does not show any motion by federal prosecutors to seize the property.

In May, a real estate agent who was contacted by a Vick associate said someone had agreed to buy the property, but no deed transfer has been recorded with the county, and the name of the buyer has not been disclosed.

This is the latest on Michael Vick......

Charles

More problems for Michael Vick

Surry prosecutor plans indictments in dogfighting case
By HANK KURZ JR., Associated Press

September 25, 2007 | Last updated 9:28 AM Sep. 25
The prosecutor in the county where Michael Vick has admitted to bankrolling a dogfighting operation plans to present "a host of bills of indictment" regarding the case to a grand jury today.

"Yes, I'm presenting matters to the grand jury that involve dogfighting at 1915 Moonlight Road," Surry County Commonwealth's Attorney Gerald Poindexter told The Associated Press in a telephone interview Monday night.
Moonlight Road is the address of the two-story home on 15 acres that has been host to the operation known as Bad Newz Kennels since 2001, and where dogs were trained, executed and fought.

"Most of the matters that I'm presenting have already been admitted in sworn statements authored by the defendants in the federal proceedings," Poindexter said.

Vick and three others pleaded guilty to one federal conspiracy charge, and each faces as much as five years in prison.

Vick's sentencing is scheduled for Dec. 10 in U.S. District Court in Richmond.
He's already been suspended indefinitely by the NFL and dropped by all his major sponsors, including Nike.

Poindexter has said he intended to seek state charges in the case but has been noncommittal about when he would ask a grand jury for indictments.
He said Monday that he couldn't detail the exact indictments he will pursue but said the local investigation and the federal investigation largely focused on different crimes.

"The killing of dogs is one of those statutory prohibitions. Dogfighting is a crime, the mistreatment of animals is a crime, so you could take your pick, or take them all," Poindexter said before cutting the conversation short. "I don't have anything else to say about it. I'm through with it. Hopefully it's coming to an end."

Vick, his co-defendants and his lawyers will not attend the closed proceeding.
Efforts to reach Vick's lawyers were not immediately successful Monday night.
In his written plea, Vick admitted helping kill six to eight pit bulls and supplying money for gambling on the fights.

He said he did not personally place bets or share in winnings but gave his three co-defendants all those proceeds.

The co-defendants who previously pleaded guilty said Vick bankrolled the enterprise, and two of them said Vick helped kill dogs that were not vicious enough in testing. The three had agreed to testify against Vick had the case gone to trial.

The case began in late April when authorities conducting a drug investigation of Vick's cousin raided the former Virginia Tech star's property and seized dozens of dogs, most of them pit bulls, and equipment common to dogfighting.

This from the (Norfolk) Virginian Pilot

Charles

Vick finally recieves his punishment.

Attachments

• vick04.jpg
    vick04.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 58

Users who are viewing this thread

Back