That is what the B-32 Was for. If it took several years to get a 10,000lb fighter designed and into production the chances of getting a 60-80,000lb bomber into production any quicker were pretty dim. The shear number of engineering drawings would quite formidable. Which aircraft program (or how many programs) should be cut to free up the man power (engineers and draftsmen) for this "back up" program?
This is a reasonable argument for the B-33A schedule but the A-26, an upgrade to the A-20 began as early as 1940. If a new bomber upgrade had started at this time it should not a schedule problem. Obviously, had the AAF started planning an upgrade to the B-17/24 then fielding an upgraded plane in mid '43 should have been no problem. It is interesting that the AAF did not plan/design the B-24 for an engine upgrade. I guess the B-29 was on everyone's mind.
Vincenzo said:
Davparl compare early B-17C with early B-24A (I chose these two because they have similar performing engines), so you can see difference.
Empty weight/gross weight/max gross/load carrying max gross (lbs)
B-17C 30,000/39,320/49,650/19,650
B-24A 30,000/39,350/53,600/23,000
Max speed/cruise speed (mph)
B-17C 323/250
B-24A 292/228
Ceiling (ft)
B-17C 37,000
B-24A 30,000
I don't see your argument at all except for max loaded weight advantage of the B-24, which, by the way, disappeared in final versions.
Jimh said:
The bomber designs we had, 17, 24, 29 were the best we could do at the time, warts and all.
I disagree. Certainly by 1940-41 time frame when an upgrade would have to begin, better engines were available/developing and better aerodynamics understood.
To implement major design changes in mid production is a monumental undertaking. There were no intentions of modifying existing designs beyond the basic airframe.
The question is why not?
Had the war continued our Jet capabilities would have been ramped up but I truely believe...and this is my opinion only, the advent of the "bomb" gave our military planners a true end game strategy that allowed us to develop aircraft and other weapons beyond WWII while the war was still being fought. The XB-47 was test flown in 1947...I would love to know when the first piece of metal was cut for this airplane.
In 1940-41, jet bombers were only daydream of a handful of eggheads and no one had any idea about the B-47.
tomo pauk said:
Wonder how well a 4-mot with turbo R-2800, or V-1710 would've fared? The 2800 offers great performance advantage over all fielded, reliable available engines almost to 1945. The V-1710 mated with B-17 airframe was far better than regular B-17.
Maybe saving a lot of lives.
Would 'we' go for an un-armed bomber, perhaps? Douglas Mixmaster seem to fit the bill here.
I like the Mixmaster. I could have been impressive if it was started earlier.