Mission Weather

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrunnels

Distinguished Member
B-17 Bombardier
8AF, 303bg, 360bs
Oct 13, 2017
Minnesota, USA
Weather conditions in the UK and over the Continent during the January - April period were challenging. The fourteen missions I was on only three drops were visual. On the others a radar system PFF(Path Finder Force) was used. The Lead Squadron aircraft had special equipment that enabled us to complete the the drop. The PFF team included pilot, DR navigator, bombardier and mickey operator. The set up procedures for each member of the team were the same as for a visual drop only we couldn't see the ground.The mickey operator became our eyes through the radar equipment. The bomb sight calculations had been set by the bombardier and the sight connected to the auto pilot. On the bomb run the mickey operator called verbally over the intercom system for course corrections which the bombardier made. Should the clouds break away at the last minute the bombardier made a visual drop.

The PFF drop was not as accurate as the visual but it served the purpose. A sixty percent bombs on target was considered successful.

Last edited:
Interesting Bill. Any scary moments forming up and an aircraft popped out of nowhere in the clouds? I remember reading an article years ago in one of the aviation magazines about a P-51 group that seemed to have lost more aircraft in one month due to weather than to enemy action

Weather conditions in the UK and over the Continent during the January - April period were challenging. The fourteen missions I was on only three drops were visual. On the others a radar system PFF(Path Finder Force) was used. The Lead Squadron aircraft had special equipment that enabled us to complete the the drop. The PFF team included pilot, DR navigator, bombardier and mickey operator. The set up procedures for each member of the team were the same as for a visual drop only we couldn't see the ground.The mickey operator became our eyes through the radar equipment. The bomb sight calculations had been set by the bombardier and the sight connected to the auto pilot. On the bomb run the mickey operator called verbally over the intercom system for course corrections which the bombardier made. Should the clouds break away at the last minute the bombardier made a visual drop.

The PFF drop was not as accurate as the visual but it served the purpose. A sixty percent bombs on target was considered successful.
Fascinating to here the details of how things would happen from someone who was actually there. Thank you!

Interesting Bill. Any scary moments forming up and an aircraft popped out of nowhere in the clouds? I remember reading an article years ago in one of the aviation magazines about a P-51 group that seemed to have lost more aircraft in one month due to weather than to enemy action
Forming in weather could be a little scary. Normally I was in the bomb bay during the forming time. However, on one occasion the forming took place at higher altitude and I was back in the nose. Through broken clouds I saw a squadron of Lancaster aircraft crossing in front about two blocks away.

Users who are viewing this thread