Mistery part

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fausto77

Recruit
Feb 4, 2010
Hi there

I found this massive piece of iron in my country (Italy), and I don't know what is it.
I think that is a propeller reduction gear of an aircraft wrecked in during wwII but I'm not absolutely sure .
Please could you help me to identify it?
sorry for my bad english.... his weight is about 23 pounds.
any suggestion will be welcome
Fausto

CIMG5923.JPG

CIMG5926.JPG

CIMG5924.JPG

With the hollow quill of the shaft, it seems like it could be from a motor-cannoned engine, like a 600 series based engine - 601, 603 or the Alfa Romeo version of the 601 type. Could I ask if where approximately in Italy this was found?

Last edited:
propellers aren't my area of expertise but my first impression was also that the shaft hole was pretty large, so it probably had a cannon through the propeller. I'm not at all familiar with italian aircraft but the american p-39 had a cannon but i don't recall any fighting in that area. The americans used a lot of p-47, b-24 and the b-26 in that area but none have a cannon in the propeller. The german ME-109 had a cannon in the propeller but I don't know how heavily it was used in Italy. Good Luck

Hi,
It isn't from a 109. The main hub gear of a 109 has 54 teeth and 8 bolts. Yours has 53 and 18 bolts. This part looks heavier in fabrication than the 109 hub gear. I have attached a photo to compare. No part-no's somewhere?

Cheers,
Sander

Attachments

• DB605_Ett_w_Prop.jpg
    DB605_Ett_w_Prop.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 142
is my two main doubts.......:|
I bought it from a guy in Sicily, no markings, only a number 1 embossed on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back