More proof that the P-39 rules! 😂

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Who was advocating that?

My '62 Nova has a custom built 250 cid (4.1L) straight six, it can launch zero to sixty miles an hour, yet gets 32 miles per gallon when on the highway.
It starts every time I turn the key, it's curb idle HCN output is actually lower than California's minimum allowable (California's smog laws are draconian compared to the other 49 states) and it has no ECM, no BCM and no sensors.

The only thing electronic on it, is the Kenwood stereo.

It's naturally aspirated with two Rochester 1BV carbs (225 cfm each), no turbo, no headers and no N2O. It has a B&M shift kit in the Power Glide trans and has a 3:36.1 limited slip rear end.

So, yeah, there is that...

Due to the forum's weird ass "problems" when I hit post, my text is missing some lines.
The part about the 0 to 60 mph was supposed to be followed by 4.3 seconds.

That is: 0 to 60 mph in 4.3 seconds.

And I'll also add that Dodge's Hellcat, off the showroom floor, would take that euro-diesel whatever, eat it alive and sh!t it out before lunch...

All with a nice 5 year warranty, too.

And I'll also add that Dodge's Hellcat, off the showroom floor, would take that euro-diesel whatever, eat it alive and sh!t it out before lunch...
Yeah until it needs to turn or stop or drive out of sight of a petrol station lol.

My 1969 Camaro started EVERY time and never broke in use except for a flat tire or two over years. So, no, it isn't 100 time as great. Not even 17 times, like I said above.

Might be 100 times as great as whatever you were driving, but not what I was driving.

I used to repair cars of that era as a boy, if your vehicle never used or leaked oil, started every time it's in the minority not majority.

Me, I'm happy to pay for a vehicle that works.
I'm happy to pay for a car that won't kill me.
Crappy undersized bias ply tires, undersized drum brakes, steering columns that acted as spears. The American auto industry was very resistant to safety measures. Only Mercedes, Volvo and Rover were safety conscious. The safety crusade was more than Nader. It inevitable and necessary. As you can see from the fatality rates cars are far safer these days. Note that in the 1970 s more Americans died each year on the road than died in the entire war in Vietnam.
Me, I'm happy to pay for a vehicle that works.
I'm happy to pay for a car that won't kill me.
Crappy undersized bias ply tires, undersized drum brakes, steering columns that acted as spears. The American auto industry was very resistant to safety measures. Only Mercedes, Volvo and Rover could be safety conscious in the 60s. The safety crusade was much more than Nader. It was inevitable and necessary. As you can see from the fatality rates cars are far safer these days. Note that in the 1970 s more Americans died each year on the road than died in the entire war in Vietnam.
I have a personal interest in tires because I took part involuntarily in the Firestone 500 tire failure experiment of the 1970s. My friend and I were traveling at about 70 miles per hour in his Camero when the right front tire tread departed from the rest of the tire and smashed into my side window. The steel belt delaminated and started acting as a giant wire brush on the side of the car. Luckily my friend kept it under control and we came to a safe stop. Frightening to say the least. As it turned out his tires were under inflated but not to the point of guaranting failure.
That was when I discovered that out of all my friends I was the only one who actually owned a pressure gage or who had any idea what pressure a tire should be. The idea that the average car owning American or Canadian would understand the concept of differential tire pressures is simply ludicrous and to me was not the solution to a poor suspension design.
And for those who say if you die in an accident because you didn't maintain your car too bad, I say I don't carry a gage with me to test the tire pressures of every car I get into and if my friend had lost control I could have been seriously injured or worse through no fault of my own.

Since I can't seem to edit my post here is a link to the Firestone 500 recall

Since I can't seem to edit my post here is a link to the Firestone 500 recall
Were Ford explorers fitted with firestone tyres?, here is Oz there was huge uproar over it because we had Explorers turning upside down on the freeways from tyre's exploding in combination with sloppy rubbish suspension.

Were Ford explorers fitted with firestone tyres?, here is Oz there was huge uproar over it because we had Explorers turning upside down on the freeways from tyre's exploding in combination with sloppy rubbish suspension.
That was later.
Firestone never learned from the first blunder

I used to repair cars of that era as a boy, if your vehicle never used or leaked oil, started every time it's in the minority not majority.

Actually, ALL my family's cars (Buick Electra 225, two Pontiac Bonnevilles, VW bug, Kharman Ghia, and a couple of others) started every time and the only one that leaked oil was a big block Chevelle SS 454 LS7 4-speed. It leaked from the valve covers until I sealed it. The stock gaskets just weren't up to it, but sealer was. After I sealed them, no more leaks. In 4 years, I went through two starters just because of how close they were to the headers, not from anything inherently bad in design. If I hadn't run the headers that close to the starter, it very likely would have lived just fine.

My ex-wife wrapped it around a police car (and lived through it, with a ticket) to end it's life.

They did successfully hit the ground. As with most bullets, we've never left one up there yet!
Well, there was a metal plate used to cap the tube leading down to the bomb for the first underground nuclear test. Not surprisingly, the bolts did not hold it, and since its "muzzle velocity" was later calculated at over twice that required for Earth Escape, it's probably still up there somewhere.

If the muzzle velocity was that high in AIR, it probably melted before escaping. Aero heating is a bitch.

Ask anyone who ever ignored the inlet temperature warning light in an F-104, if you can dig them up out of their grave. ANs THAT metal was designed for high temperature. Regul.ar steel just isn't.

Actually aero heating for something going straight UP is not that big a deal. It is leaving the atmosphere the shortest way possible and it is getting a lot thinner very fast. None of our launch vehicles have much problem with aero heating during ascent. They generally do not have thermal protection systems except over fragile and thin areas, such as the fairing.

I worked on nose cap thrusters for the SRBs on the space shuttle as well as a few other things that got shot into space. Naturally, we had to environmentally test things for the launch and mission environment, and we had aeroheating issues. We overcame it, but we had to address it. Also, the space shuttle accelerated VERY slowly compared with something that blew off with initial escape velocity. The space shuttle ws getting continuous energy from the rocket engines. Something that blew vertically upward from an explosion is not getting ANY energy except initial kinetic energy, and it has to be MOVING. It ,ight well have been vaporized instead of blowing upward.

I'd be VERY surprised if aeroheating didn't come into it. Escape velocity is 25,000 mph and the SR-71 went fast enough to melt steel and aluminum at 2,000 mph. I'd be VERY surprised if aeroheating didn't play a significant role.

Considering the plate's mass (diameter/thickness/composition), how long would it take to reach a point where the heat would start to alter it's state?

Materials used on aircraft (or spacecraft) and rockets is much thinner and therefore affected by friction much faster.

While not directly aerospace related, the principle is the same in fabrication. Welding on .25" mild steel plate requires different heat settings and technique than when welding on .0625" (16 gauge) sheetmetal.

I'd be VERY surprised if aeroheating didn't come into it. Escape velocity is 25,000 mph and the SR-71 went fast enough to melt steel and aluminum at 2,000 mph. I'd be VERY surprised if aeroheating didn't play a significant role.

Orbital velocity, however, is about 17,000 MPH, with the lowest orbit being about 100 miles up. The parking orbit for the Apollo lunar missions, before setting off for the moon, were at 107 to 119 miles altitude..

Users who are viewing this thread