Morinosuke: common name in Japan? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Morinosuke Tanaka (田中盛之助) is remembered in Thai history primarily for his beautiful photography of the kingdom during the teens, 20s, and 30s of the 20th century. Not well remembered except possibly in Japan were his efforts on behalf of the IJA before and during the war as presented in Japanese Photographers in Siam (松本逸也, シャムの日本人写真師 (東京: めこん, 1992)). I acknowledge relying heavily on this reference in preparing my webpages about the man. That reference notes various portions of Tanaka's life for which details remain scanty. One is during the period 1896-1902. Quite by chance, I came across his name on a file card recording his arrival in Honolulu in 1898 (that link is now gone). Having spent some time in Japan, I was aware that Tanaka was a very common surname. But I didn't recall having ever seen the given name, Morinosuke; and I assumed it rare. With that, and even though the birth date on the index card was off by a year, I concluded the man to be the Tanaka of Thai fame and added my own speculation about what he might have done during that period.

However, in a later review of ancester.com records, I found that there were at least two, perhaps more, Japanese who had come to the US for temporary work with that name around the turn into the 20th century. Records from that time are not complete and sometimes contradictory. The Morinosuke Tanakas are differentiated by birth dates ranging a few years either side of that of the Thai's Tanaka. Their periods in the US may or may not overlap. Abilities in English amongst them were probably nonexistent so that communication was easily misconstrued.

Now, in rethinking all this, I'm wondering:
  • Was the given name, Morinosuke, more common in Japan than I have thought? Perhaps as a function of that era?
  • Can anyone with experience in US Immigration records of that era and US Census records in the early 20th century offer comment on their accuracy?
I thank you.

Hak Hakanson
Chiang Mai

Morinosuke (盛之助) was not rare in the prewar Japan. It means a man of prosperity.
I can still find some in the modern Japanese society.

I thank you: I am expanding my webpage on Tanaka and will downgrade that portion dealing with a Honolulu visit, setting it off into a box titled "Speculation".

Hak Hakanson
Chiang Mai

Morinosuke Tanaka (田中盛之助) is remembered in Thai history primarily for his beautiful photography of the kingdom during the teens, 20s, and 30s of the 20th century. Not well remembered except possibly in Japan were his efforts on behalf of the IJA before and during the war as presented in Japanese Photographers in Siam (松本逸也, シャムの日本人写真師 (東京: めこん, 1992)). I acknowledge relying heavily on this reference in preparing my webpages about the man. That reference notes various portions of Tanaka's life for which details remain scanty. One is during the period 1896-1902. Quite by chance, I came across his name on a file card recording his arrival in Honolulu in 1898 (that link is now gone). Having spent some time in Japan, I was aware that Tanaka was a very common surname. But I didn't recall having ever seen the given name, Morinosuke; and I assumed it rare. With that, and even though the birth date on the index card was off by a year, I concluded the man to be the Tanaka of Thai fame and added my own speculation about what he might have done during that period.

However, in a later review of ancester.com records, I found that there were at least two, perhaps more, Japanese who had come to the US for temporary work with that name around the turn into the 20th century. Records from that time are not complete and sometimes contradictory. The Morinosuke Tanakas are differentiated by birth dates ranging a few years either side of that of the Thai's Tanaka. Their periods in the US may or may not overlap. Abilities in English amongst them were probably nonexistent so that communication was easily misconstrued.

Now, in rethinking all this, I'm wondering:
  • Was the given name, Morinosuke, more common in Japan than I have thought? Perhaps as a function of that era of Junk Removal Marsville WA?
  • Can anyone with experience in US Immigration records of that era and US Census records in the early 20th century offer comment on their accuracy?
I thank you.

Hak Hakanson
Chiang Mai
My friend is having a baby and wants a traditional Japanese name for a baby girl. She doesn't want something that is too common, but very pretty and cute. Thanks.

Morinosuke (盛之助) was not rare in the prewar Japan. It means a man of prosperity.
I can still find some in the modern Japanese society.
Do Japanese have a tradition that used to be quite common in UK, the first son is given the same "given name" as the father?

My friend is having a baby and wants a traditional Japanese name for a baby girl. She doesn't want something that is too common, but very pretty and cute. Thanks.
Names for a girl which are thought traditionl are -

Yui, Ema, Rio, Aoi, Honoka, Koharu, Mio, Sana etc. These sound so cute.

My grandmothers were Tatsuno and Yoshino. My mother was Kazuko. Aunts were Kimiko, Taeko, Teruko. These names are now thought old fashioned but I miss them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back