Mosquito aerodynamics?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Does anyone know if the Mosquito leading edge intake reduced or increased drag with the radiator set up as is, and if the "Meredith effect" as far thrust goes was also combined lift, the outlet is pointing downwards as well as backwards?

The Mosquito's radiator would have increased drag, as did the Mustang's, just not as much as some other systems.

So, in a sense, drag was reduced compared to some alternative radiator placements.

There was a prototype fitted with a Merlin power egg, as used in the Beaufighter II. The performance didn't change that much.

The fastest Hawker Tempest was the Mk I prototype with leading edge radiators. Though the Sabre in the Mk.I was an experimental version, there must have been some reduced drag compared with the Mk.V production aircraft with chin radiator. The speed difference was 20-30mph.

The fastest Hawker Fury was the Sabre powered prototype, also with the leading edge radiators. Though it is less easy to compare, since the Fury went into production as the Sea Fury with the Centaurus radial.

Hawker Fury I (Sabre-Powered) Fighter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back