Mosquito with invasion stripes and underwing rockets / bombs?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

vonmarshall

Recruit
Sep 2, 2014
Hi there

I am very interested in seeing if there are any photos out there of a Mosquito FB in full invasion strip livery carrying rockets or bombs under-wing?

I know most of the rocket using Mossies were based in Scotland covering Norwegian shipping lanes, but I believe some were used against ships and subs in the English Channel. I suspect these would have been given the full stripe livery but cannot find any photos to back this up.

Hopefully somebody here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Noel

not sure if it is a FB
Crowood Press: de Havilland Mosquito pg 82

2.jpg
1.jpg

I don't think I've got any photos of RP-equipped Mossies in AEAF stripes, but any allied aircraft, with the exception of the 'Heavies', operating in northern Europe from June 5th to late July would carry full stripes.
The Mossies of 2 Group, both bomber and FB.VI, were equipped for bombs or drop tanks under the wings, and there are numerous photos of the various squadrons in full stripes.

Thanks for the photos so far.

Interesting insight ... thanks Airframes.

So is it safe to say none of them carried rockets around this era?

As far as I know, only the Banff Strike Wing carried RPs at this time. I've had a quick check of some photos, and notes from aircrew I knew who operated from southern England, and on the Continent after D-Day, and all appear to be standard FB.VI or various bomber Marks, with internal bomb load, and either wing tanks or bombs, dependent on mission range etc.
RAF use of RPs in northern ETA seems to have been restricted mainly to Hurricanes, and later, the Typhoon.

Only picture I could find is one from Banff in Scotland - but no invasion stripes. (As stated previously by Airframes.)

Attachments

• Banff Scotland.png
    Banff Scotland.png
    229.3 KB · Views: 357
Just found this picture of a 404 Sqn RCAF mossie with stripes and rockets. Web site is 404 Squadron, RCAF, picture is below.

Sorry did not read photo caption (getting late). It's a beaufighter not a mossie!!!!

Attachments

• Apr1944_clip_image002.jpg
    Apr1944_clip_image002.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back