Most Important Aircraft Engine of the War?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The only fighter engine to be fitted with a reverse gear! :lol:

R3350........ without it, the B29 wouldnt fly. No B29, no atomic bombs and thus an invasion of Japan would be necessary

i think that's a pretty lame argument syscom because that argument's so weak it can be used for any situation........

in my mind the PW R1830 is the power plant C47 , PBY5 , B17, B24, Buffalo, Sunderland ,Curtiss Hawk, A20 Havoc, Wildcat, P35. P43, P66, Coronado, Boomerang, Myrsky II, Northrop N3PB, grumman J2f1 Duck, Curtiss Seahawk, FokkerT1va , Woomera , Beaufort , Ge23 Goblin, B25

Watch it - the Klimov was based on the French Hispano-Suiza 12Y engine...

Yeah, I know

I thought that this was interesting:

A unique feature of the 12Y was that the cylinder heads were not removable, instead the entire block could be quickly removed from the engine. This made it somewhat famous for being entirely leak-proof, a design that was considered by other designers and almost became a part of the Rolls-Royce Merlin.

Hispano-Suiza 12Y - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i think that's a pretty lame argument syscom because that argument's so weak it can be used for any situation........

It was the atomic bombs that ended the war. Only way to deliver them was by B29's.

No R3350, no B29. No B29, an extremely bloody ending to the war.

The -3350 was also the first engine to put out nearly 1 hp per pound of weight, in the high output catagory.

I'll wager there are more PW 1830 still flying today as all the other engines mentioned combined as for other users you can throw in the Grumman Tracker and its still in use .

That was my first pic also until Chris suggested posting the tuffest engine. Merlin was a very good one, very important.

No really, I meant no engine in particular. The Merlins, Allisons, PWs, DB's, BMW's were all great engines. So can really decide which is better. They all had advantages and disadvantages over the others. Therefore in my opinion the best engine is any engine that gets you back to home base where you can sit and have a beer and talk to your fellow pilots about how much you are still removing the seat cushion from you ass after surviving another mission over enemy held territory.

Not WW2 but that was my biggest fear when I was in Iraq, was not getting shot down but rather loosing my engines at 50ft over the ground. You are not going to autorotate from 50ft at 150 knots. Its too quick. Wiirrrrr and boom your done. Dont take me wrong, if you react quick eneogh you can put her on the ground but its tough that low to the ground over a fricken city like Baghdad.

Therefore whatever engine keeps you alive is going to be the best, whatever engine you are using.

Best jets: LR.1 turbofan 6400lbf that was partly built by powerjets before being told not to by the government. MetroVick F.3 turbofan of 4300lbf and sfc 40% lower than the F.2. Nothing else comes close to these.

Best jets: LR.1 turbofan 6400lbf that was partly built by powerjets before being told not to by the government. MetroVick F.3 turbofan of 4300lbf and sfc 40% lower than the F.2. Nothing else comes close to these.

Oh no, Red Admiral, must disagree here.
That´s not entirely the best. The L.R.1 is an impressive tool, but was considered to complicated for mass production with the tooling equipment avaiable to GB in 1945. This means it has to be ruled out. From the pure poweroutput the two prototypes of the BMW-018 which were destroyed by a bombing raid in october 1944 had more power(3450Kp ~7604 lbs). The Metrovick shares the same fate, to complicated. The first engine with Turbofan was the DB-006 run 1941on the testbench with 1150 Kp (2535 lbs) having an superior sfc but also was considered to complicated,too. I would rate these all technically impressive but not the best.
Really good is the RR Nene of late 44, altough no jet of ww2 flew with the Nene on board. The Dervent V is also excellent but again misses use in ww2. The US made Allison J33, being based on earlier british jet powerplants is technically the best engine of this timeframe, hands down.
However, it wasn´t produced in the necessary numbers during ww2 and therefore had no chance to prove itself.
With these limitations in mind we have to reduce it to the following contenders:
Jumo-004A/B/D (Me-262A /Ar-234B)
BMW-003A/E (He-162A / Ar-234C)
Dervent-I (Meteor-III)
All these engines are in the same powerclass (1750-2000 lbs), were produced in considerable numbers and saw intensive use.
The best jet engine all factors considered was the BMW-003, from my point of view.
The Jumo 004 was unreliable but produced in excessive numbers, the Dervent was reliable but comparably bulky and produced in limited numbers with limited power, the BMW-003 had all: More than 1000 units produced, excellent reliability, technically way better than Jumo (with later models having 20% overrew capability, increasing thrust to ~ 2030 lbs for brief periods), and small in dimensions and weights.

It was the atomic bombs that ended the war. Only way to deliver them was by B29's.

No R3350, no B29. No B29, an extremely bloody ending to the war.

The -3350 was also the first engine to put out nearly 1 hp per pound of weight, in the high output catagory.

i still think it's an exceptionally weak argument, yes she was an impressive engine in as far as she powered the B-29 but almost anything can be linked to the atomic bombing in each case, she was famed for her unreliability and she only made one aircraft of WWII a legend, the Merlin, Alison and -1830 all have a list as long as my arm of aircraft they powered and made some of the greatest combat aircraft ever..........

i can't help but think this will be yet annother one he wont back down on, it was the bomb, not the means of delivery that changed the world........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back