Most important Items needed for a beginner in Modeling / Diaroma making ... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ARTESH

Chief Master Sergeant
Aug 27, 2017
Tehran, Iran
What are most important tools and anything else that is needed to be learnt / known by a beginner modeller / diorama maker?

Which brands of Model kits / Tools do you recommend for a beginner?

Also any advise / tip is welcomed.

Thank you in Advance.

A first tip ... you have to decide of what scale you want to make a diorama. This depends on the room you have to keep the finished models. Also it determinates the size of the dio base and tools you need. For sure a couple of brushes of the soft bristle can be useful.

A first tip ... you have to decide of what scale you want to make a diorama. This depends on the room you have to keep the finished models. Also it determinates the size of the dio base and tools you need. For sure a couple of brushes of the soft bristle can be useful.
Many thanks dear Wojtek.

Have done resin before, in my ex workshop and have some resin and colours as well. But making models / diorama's is completely different thing.

About the place, currently living with family, I have my 12 M2 room.

Actually .. making a diorama isn't the completly different thing. It is nothing more but making a model with an expanded/ advanced stand. So the tools for making that are the same like for making models.

1/32 scale dio with Spitfire ...
spit dio1.jpg

spit dio1a.jpg

the source: the net.

Also a good pencil with a metal ruler can come in handy. As well as a scalpel or a sharp knife. It would be nice if the knife would have the interchangeable blades of a couple of different shapes. Although I use a scalpel with replaceable blades I also have the X-acto set. See below.

x-acto.jpg

If I had not made some wrong desisions ...

Within past 4-5 years, I've lost almost whatever I have had ... My own home, my workshop, many of my friends, equipment and materials ... You name it ...

What past is past ... A better tomorrow awaits.

Nice dio.

As said mostly tools your used to. As for kits, depends on what your subject is and scale. 1/144, 72, 48, 32, 24th are the basic scales. Larger subjects many prefer in smaller scales. Let's face it, a 1/48 B-52 will fill your room.
Many thanks dear Don. Have done some search about scales and I've decided to begin with 1/72 and 1/48 scales and Imperial Iranian Air Force. I'm trying to do some warm ups before I join Group Build 55.

Hobby knife, paint brushes, paint (lacquer, acrylics, enamels) modeling glue. Those are minimal items in my opinion. Airbrush and air compressor would be high on the list of nice to have. Sprue cutters, sandpaper/film, micro files and micro drill sets/pin vice are all in your future if you pursue the Hobby. The list grows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back