Most important Items needed for a beginner in Modeling / Diaroma making ... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Artesh, you say you live in Iran. I belive there is plenty of diorama materials for free there. If you want to make a runaway you can use sandpaper of maybe 400 grit grade. You can find dust and rocks and fine sand everywhere. You can make little trees from fine bush branches. Finding and adapting materials from your environement can be a hobby in itself.
The satisfaction will be so much bigger if you adapt instead of buying ready made products.
Give it a try! It dosen't have to be a museum quallity work of art from the first try.

Artesh, you say you live in Iran. I belive there is plenty of diorama materials for free there. If you want to make a runaway you can use sandpaper of maybe 400 grit grade. You can find dust and rocks and fine sand everywhere. You can make little trees from fine bush branches. Finding and adapting materials from your environement can be a hobby in itself.
The satisfaction will be so much bigger if you adapt instead of buying ready made products.
Give it a try! It dosen't have to be a museum quallity work of art from the first try.
Hey Stosser, Yes, I live in Iran. Thank you for advices and tips, specially about that Runaway by sand paper and I agree using natural materials is a hobby, on its own.

But actually I was thinking about bigger and more expensive electrical devices and other expensive (not electrical) things, which are hard to find here or even in Armenia. That's why I wrote "I've almost lost anything I had". I've bought all my necessary equipments and materials, about 20K USD, 5 and half years ago...

If I want to have those same equipment and things today, it is more than 2M USD, at least.

Unbelievable inflation rate ...

Actually all materials for modelling can be found in a dumpster. Literally.
The very good source for copper/brass wires of different diameters is the old electronic stuff. There is plenty of coils, wires, electrical transformers etc, in these devices. Also small screws, nuts and bolts ....
Plastic ( both the clear and colour one ) can be from housing of the devices, wrappers and many different plastic boxes lying just around us ...
The plywood and wood can be obtained from old furniture. The old picture frames are nice for the wooden or plastic ( if made of ) frame for a diorama base.
Aluminium ( including aluminium foil if needed) can be from many cans for beverages , beer etc ...
Styrofoam ( styropian ) is in boxes of many electronic devices, furniture etc ...
A good quality cardboard ( paperboard ) can be used from many cardboard boxes used for package of cosmetics, sweets small eletronic devices and even clothes.

I could name more but it is not possible to mention all of them.

Actually all materials for modelling can be found in a dumpster. Literally.
The very good source for copper/brass wires of different diameters is the old electronic stuff. There is plenty of coils, wires, electrical transformers etc, in these devices. Also small screws, nuts and bolts ....
Plastic ( both the clear and colour one ) can be from housing of the devices, wrappers and many different plastic boxes lying just around us ...
The plywood and wood can be obtained from old furniture. The old picture frames are nice for the wooden or plastic ( if made of ) frame for a diorama base.
Aluminium ( including aluminium foil if needed) can be from many cans for beverages , beer etc ...
Styrofoam ( styropian ) is in boxes of many electronic devices, furniture etc ...
A good quality cardboard ( paper ) can be used from many cardboard boxes used for package of cosmetics, sweets small eletronic devices and even clothes.

I could name more but it is not possible to mention all of them.
Hopefully I have more than enough experience in this one. I know some dumpsters where I can find plenty of them, unowned, and grab what I need. I should apply for "Master of Excavation" degree :)

If you don't want to visit a such place, the option may be having a look at the neighbor's celler or his attic. I'm sure there can be always found something interesting.
Why not, there are so many useable items there. Even the workers will be happy to get rid of them.

BTW ... I have found my old thread with pictures of my mate's model of a chinese junk ... here is what you may make of a door of an old wardrobe ...

dzonka1-jpg.jpg

Noticed the FAL in your profile pic. Thats an awesome piece and hard one to come by in the US. What make/nationality is yours?
Not sure about place of origin, but it's a souvenir from PJAK. It'll be available at Army Museum at Saadabad complex, sometime in 2022.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back