most manoeuvrable aircraft in ww2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

CatTheCool

Airman
Aug 28, 2018
Any ideas?

Spitfire?
Zero-sen?
Hayabusa?
Mitsubishi a5m?
Hayate?

For low speed "maneuverability" like at 25mph has to be I think Fiesler 156 Storch :D

There is lots of modern videos but here is a 1938 one of high quality, can take off in 20m then do a horizontal pirouette, also land in 20m!

For low speed "maneuverability" like at 25mph has to be I think Fiesler 156 Storch :D

There is lots of modern videos but here is a 1938 one of high quality, can take off in 20m then do a horizontal pirouette, also land in 20m!

yes i have to agree with you there..

Good topic for endless discussions ;)

My suggestions.
Fighters: Ki-27, Ki-43-I, I-153, CR.42
Two engines: SB-2M-100A, Blenheim MKIV ?, Ki-45 (probably Ko as the lightest one?), FW 189, Fokker G.I?
Three engines :): SM.79...
Floatplanes: A6M2N, Ar 196, probably N1K prototype...
Four engines :D: H8K...

It's important to specify under what parameters you are trying to define maneuverability. Early Japanese fighters like the A6M and Ki-43 were very agile at low speeds, but once the fight rose above 200 mph stick forces became both problematic and crippling so they suffered accordingly. The trick for any Allied fighter pilot was to never get lured into a low-speed turning fight with these types and be sure to keep your speed up so you always had the choice of whether to "fight or flight".

It's important to specify under what parameters you are trying to define maneuverability. Early Japanese fighters like the A6M and Ki-43 were very agile at low speeds, but once the fight rose above 200 mph stick forces became both problematic and crippling so they suffered accordingly. The trick for any Allied fighter pilot was to never get lured into a low-speed turning fight with these types and be sure to keep your speed up so you always had the choice of whether to "fight or flight".

Darren,

Same rule applies when fighting Hornets with the Eagle.

Some things never change...

Cheers,
Biff

Let's say we mean first-line fighters in 1942. No biplanes or trainers. Real, front-line fighters.

The Oscar isn't a real front-line fighter in 1942, though it soldiered on for some time. Ditto the Ki-27.

The A6M5 is a real front-line, first-line fighter. I'd say Zero for the most maneuverable important fighter in 1942, with the Ki-43 Oscar being probably slightly more maneuverable albeit not really a first-line contender at that time. And, the best maneuverability would be in it's optimum speed range of 180 - 280 mph. Once you get above 300 mph, the A6M is out.

Perhaps we need to narrow the question a bit? Perhaps not. Years? Speed range? Minimum production number to be considered as a contender? But, that would at the option of the OP since he DID say aircraft and not fighter. If it is really just aircraft, then the Storch is a great choice, but the Piper L-4 would be right in the hunt along with a few other very light liaison aircraft.

I'd nominate the YO-51 Dragonfly if I could find any real information about it to confirm what it LOOKS like.

Last edited:
I like it when the rules change from original intent of the thread just to suit someone else

1548103929339.png

There are several types of maneuverability, two important categories are sustained and instantaneous. Most people have sustained jump to mind.

Manouvre can also be in the vertical. manouvre can also be low, medium of high level.

A Zeke at high speed, high up has some very serious weaknesses. It could hardly turn at high speed, didn't climb very well, and could be out dived by most of its opponents.

Yet at some speeds and altitudes it is reported as having a turning arc of under 600 feet, which means it could turn twice inside the turning arc of a hellcat in those conditions.

The debate needs to b e better defined to become an informed discussion.

Boyd liked the idea of instantaneous maneuverability.

Perhaps a better and more enlightening discussion would be the best angles and energy fighters and how well they employed tactics to their advantage.

page 148: Specific Energy =Velocity times [Thrust minus Drag] over weight. These values change with altitude, so there's a plot for a given plane. When two of these plots are overlaid the plane with the higher specific energy has an advantage in a dog fight at that altitude. Note lowering the weight has a huge effect.

PS for a few decades I drove a 427 AC Cobra. It had about the same horsepower as a Corvette, but was about a thousand pounds lighter leading to fantastic performance. The Lotus 7 had a 4 cylinder engine but great performance because of its light weight (also narrowness is an advantage in autocross).
427 Cobra - CSX3282

Robert L Shaw's book "Fighter Combat" is a thorough examination of tactics and energy vrs angles tactics. Evaluating an opponents energy, potential and future can be difficult. Angles Maneuvering bleeds energy and if lured into a turning fight the energy fighter can easily loose it's energy advantage. Different airplanes bleed energy in different ways. She aircraft are much better at converting a dive and acceleration back into potential energy in a zoom climb, others may have lost too much through drag at high speed.

He goes through various scenarios of energy vrs angles fighter etc and strategies employed.

Excellent book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back