Most Unattractive Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was aware of the AirTruck's design features, but was trying to get into the spirit of the thread.
Back when the Short Skyvan came out, it was claimed that when unloaded from the shipper, they threw away the airplane and flew the container ...

Meanwhile, on lake Maggiore, the Italians attempt to upstage French design.

View attachment 794292
Seeking to improve their bottom line, Caproni acquired financing from their Venetian division, which made window blinds!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or lack of. The prototype Franken-fighter P-75 makes my list. View attachment 781960
IMHO, absolutely the most misbegotten example of contract manipulation and misrepresentation from WWII. Fisher managed to grab the designation out of order and co-opt the patriotic Eagle name as they enhanced their marketing, and the inept design team claimed big savings by robbing parts from existing production aircraft: SBD empennage, P-51/P-40 wing panels, F4U landing gear and drive train engineering from P-39/P-63. Some claim the P-75 project was a "high-priority" project to help GM avoid the added strain of Superfortress production. The "Eagle" was given extensive media coverage prior to its first flight, being trumpeted as a "wonder plane".

But it was the first 4 engines bird to bomb Berlin...

This comment led me to a piece of aviation history of which I was unaware. The Allies were planning a night bombing raid on Berlin towards the end of 1918. The new Handley Page V1500 "strategic" bomber was selected for the mission. It was tasked and aircraft were actually taxying out to take off when the entire operation was cancelled. The night in question? 10 November 1918. Apparently, with the Armistice expected to be signed imminently, it was decided not to provoke things further by bombing Berlin.

You may now all return to your feast of ugly aircraft….seems like it's the antithesis of cute kitten photos.

I keep thinking the P-75 was ordered because the GM Congressional Lobby got it approved. Why would anyone let a design contract go to an automaker that was already fat with War Production and the license building of aircraft, when multiple designs were flying that did the same mission? that said it is still one of my favorites.

WTAF?

There's a British version also

Users who are viewing this thread