Music at airshows?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nuuumannn

Major
Oct 12, 2011
Nelson
I once used to work at an airfield where we held regular flying events. There was a local chap who had a Stolp Starduster Too and whilst doing his routine, Pink Floyd's "Shine on you crazy diamond" was played. It really suited the display and lent the entire scene real atmosphere.

So, folks, what do you think of music in time to flying displays? If you do, what do you think is cool? Any examples you can think of?

8)

Last edited:
Depends on what is flying and how the routine is to be done.

In September I was at an Old Timer Airshow here in Germany (Hahnweide with a Bf 109, Me 262, several P-51s, etc...), and they had this really great glider pilot flying some very old historic German gliders from the 1930s. He did his whole show with colored smoke from the wing tips and to beautiful classical music. The music seemed to be in sync the acrobatics of the glider. Was really amazing!

I'm torn on this. A part of me likes one that is well choreographed, however, when you have the roar of the radials and other warbirds, I would rather hear just the engines and the whistles and sounds they make. I get super annoyed when some announcer is droning on and on while the warbirds fly.

I agree. When a real war bird is flying by I want to hear the engine and sound it makes, not music. If it is a glider as I said above, I think it can really enhance the experience though.

I get super annoyed when some announcer is droning on and on while the warbirds fly.

I have to agree; there was a commentator at a nearby (three hour's drive) military airshow who droned non-stop in a monotone - bad!

A great commentator will/should pause every now and then, especially when introducing the aircraft... "From the left..." (a/c sound) RRROOOOAAAARRRRR! "The Blah blah blah!"

But in terms of music, sometimes its great to liven things up a bit during a display. There was this Yak team who used to do displays; looked visually impressive with smoke, but they were all over the show and took up far too much sky - not the slickest, but they played good music, which seemed at times to be the only thing that held it together. There were too many gaps between reappearances between flypasts.

I think music with an aerobatic performer or team is okay if it is done well. It can enhance the performance, or in some cases be the most memorable part! ;) I just don't want anyone yammering on blah blah blah when the warbird fly. I wanna hear the sound of round!

I'm not there to listen to music, I want to hear the aircraft. I can't stand even videos with music.

I'm not there to listen to music, I want to hear the aircraft. I can't stand even videos with music.

There is a group of people in the UK who carry round a bunch of little cards advising that the music playing at the place they went to, be it a shop or mall, or whatever was inappropriate and ruined the ambience. I can't emember what they call themselves - an old girlfriend's mother was one. That you, Park? ;)

Music enriches the soul. It lends a certain atmosphere to an environment; at the museum we used to put appropriate music on because without it, you had hangars full of aeroplanes, which was a bit eerie for people when all they could hear was their own footsteps echoing off the floor.

In my experience, I've found that airshow music helps create an ambience, because, as most of you pointed out, you don't want to hear a commentator droning on all day, not only that, but it makes up for 'dead air', which can be equally dull if there is nothing going on between flying displays.

I remember during one memorial airshow in the UK I went to, I can't remember what anniversary, but they had the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Spit, Hurri and Lanc doing a display with Elgar's 'Nimrod' playing. I tell ya, there weren't too many people without a lump in their throats after that.

If the music is appropriate for the display and it doesn't drown out the engine sound, it can enhance the experience. But when it is blasting so load you can't hear the engines until they are directly in front of you, it's too much. I have music in the background on my flying videos, but I also keep the engine sounds so that you can hear that too. In a museum, I am all for having period music for ambiance. We used to play 40s swing music in the museum in Camarillo and it worked great for the museum. It is an eerie silence when it is quiet in there, I agree.

Best airshow I was at many years ago some of the speakers were blown down much to my pleasure, and how many airshows have the speakers on the flihjtline which spoils the view

Best airshow I was at many years ago some of the speakers were blown down much to my pleasure, and how many airshows have the speakers on the flihjtline which spoils the view

Yeah, this is true - and why are they always so close together so when you pan a shot you get atleast one of the suckers in your photo?! Perhaps they should be behind the crowdline?

There is a group of people in the UK who carry round a bunch of little cards advising that the music playing at the place they went to, be it a shop or mall, or whatever was inappropriate and ruined the ambience. I can't emember what they call themselves - an old girlfriend's mother was one. That you, Park? ;)

Music enriches the soul. It lends a certain atmosphere to an environment; at the museum we used to put appropriate music on because without it, you had hangars full of aeroplanes, which was a bit eerie for people when all they could hear was their own footsteps echoing off the floor.

In my experience, I've found that airshow music helps create an ambience, because, as most of you pointed out, you don't want to hear a commentator droning on all day, not only that, but it makes up for 'dead air', which can be equally dull if there is nothing going on between flying displays.

I remember during one memorial airshow in the UK I went to, I can't remember what anniversary, but they had the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Spit, Hurri and Lanc doing a display with Elgar's 'Nimrod' playing. I tell ya, there weren't too many people without a lump in their throats after that.

Yes my username is Park, do we know each other?

Ken

Hi Ken, I think you might have misunderstood my intent. :oops: I was merely suggesting you might be one of these people who leave cards in shops stating that you don't like the piped music. I should have written "are you one of these people?" I was having a laugh at your expense; sorry ;)

I doubt we know each other, unless you are Ken Ellis, (former) editor of Flypast magazine? I suspect not...

Hi Ken, I think you might have misunderstood my intent. :oops: I was merely suggesting you might be one of these people who leave cards in shops stating that you don't like the piped music. I should have written "are you one of these people?" I was having a laugh at your expense; sorry ;)

I doubt we know each other, unless you are Ken Ellis, (former) editor of Flypast magazine? I suspect not...

No problem, I guess I came on a little strong about the music thing. When I see an aircraft fly by I enjoy hearing the machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back